Cascara Sagrada is a plant with medicinal benefits, especially useful as a digestive and to relieve gas and flatulence. Find out how to make your infusion.
The Cascara Sagrada is a medicinal plant that belongs to the “Lamiaceae” family, and its scientific name is “Ramus Prussian”. This plant has beneficial medicinal properties for our body, among which we highlight: hepatoprotective, mild purgative, mild laxative and also as a bitter tonic.
On the other hand, we can also discover the active principles of Cascara Sagrada, among which are: anthraquinones, tannins and essential oil. The dried bark is used to prepare the various natural remedies with Cascara Sagrada.
It is a medicinal plant that can be accompanied by other plants with carminative properties such as cumin, green anise, and used as an infusion to calm gas colic and reduce flatulence.
This plant is also effective to combat constipation, as it helps to tone the relaxed muscles of the digestive system, it also helps to calm stomach pain.
For cases of constipation, Cascara Sagrada should only be used at specific times, a few days, only for occasional constipation. If constipation persists, we should consult with the doctor.
Treatments that are carried out with Cascara Sagrada are not advisable to do more than 7 days. We can get La Cascara Sagrada in herbalists, parapharmacies, and natural product stores and also in online stores.
Natural remedies with Cascara Sagrada
How to prepare an infusion of Cascara Sagrada:
To prepare this Cascara Sagrada infusion we need:
- 2 grams of dry bark.
- A cup of mineral water.
- We put the water in a saucepan on the fire to boil it.
- Once it begins to boil, add the Cascara Sagrada bark.
- We turn off the heat, cover the infusion and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- We strain the infusion and let it warm.
- Cascara Sagrada infusion has a bitter taste, we can add a sweet touch to it with a teaspoon of honey, brown cane sugar or stevia.
- We will only drink one cup of this infusion a day and no more than 7 days.
- How to prepare a decoction of Cascara Sagrada
- We will prepare the decoction of Cascara Sagrada as follows:
- One or two teaspoons of dried Cascara Sagrada bark.
- A cup of mineral water.
Boil the water and when it starts to boil, lower the heat and add the cascara Sagrada, let it infuse for 10 minutes. We strain the decoction and let it warm. Take a cup before bedtime. No more than 7 days.
Contraindications of Cascara Sagrada
Cascara Sagrada should not be consumed frequently, and before consuming it we should consult with therapeutic professionals or with the doctor.
Cascara Sagrada is contraindicated in the following cases:
- In case of chronic constipation.
- In case of pregnancy.
- During lactation.
- In children under 12 years of age.
- If you have heart disease.
- Heart failure.
- In case of suffering from kidney diseases: kidney failure, nephritis, inflamed bladder.
- In case of intestinal diseases: Crohn’s, colitis, diverticulitis, intestinal obstruction.
- Liver failure.
- During menstruation.
- Anticoagulant treatments.
- Do not take with other diuretic medications.