We propose a delicious vegan bread pudding recipe with a vegetable drink and chickpea flour to replace the egg. Find out how to do it at home. Delicious!
If there is a popular and traditional dessert whose original recipe is capable of surpassing the years and, precisely, passing from generation to generation without being forgotten, that is the exquisite bread pudding. In fact, did you know that he was originally born in the 17th century? At that time, it appeared as a derivative of another equally classic dessert of English origin, known as bread pudding (considered an authentic luxurious version for special occasions only).
It soon became a dessert that the population itself made with greater or lesser ease, since it was made in order to take advantage of the bread that was already hard and could not be eaten. However, although in the mid-20th century it tended to lose popularity, the truth is that it has always become a typically traditional dessert of English cuisine.
As you surely know, it consists of a sweet that is made with stale bread, milk, egg and fruit, which is accompanied by other wonderful ingredients such as butter and raisins.
The result of baking this delicious mixture results in a creamy sweet with a characteristic texture and appearance, very easy to distinguish when we find it on a small dessert plate.
But as we can see, the traditional recipe is made with milk, eggs and sometimes butter can be added, all of them ingredients of animal origin. Therefore, it is a sweet not suitable for vegans. But did you know that it is also possible to make a delicious vegan bread pudding? We explain what ingredients you need and the steps to follow to easily prepare it at home.
Vegan Bread Pudding Recipe
Here we propose a wonderful recipe for vegan bread pudding in which we substitute milk of animal origin for a vegetable drink and eggs for chickpea flour.
- 1/2 liter of vegetable drink (you can use the one you like the most, from soy milk to rice milk, oatmeal or almond milk)
- 1/2 kg. of stale bread (preferably the day before)
- 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Half a cup of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of fine oat flakes
- Cinnamon powder
- Unrefined sunflower oil
Preparation of vegan bread pudding:
- Put the bread in a large bowl, add your favorite vegetable drink and let it soak well for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, 10 minutes before the bread is finished soaking, preheat the oven to 180º.
- Then put the soaked bread in the blender glass together with the milk and grind it well.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour, the amount of cinnamon powder that you like the most, the brown sugar and grind everything again.
- Now add the fine oat flakes and the raisins, and stir well with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Put a little sunflower oil in a baking dish and rub it well all over the dish to prevent the dough from sticking to the walls. Then pour the bread mixture into the baking dish.
- Put in the oven and cook for 25 minutes at 150º.
- After this time our vegan bread pudding will be ready. Remove from oven and let cool before unmolding.
As we can see, it is a simple but extremely versatile recipe. So much so that you can’t just add raisins. In short, it is possible to make it with any dried fruit you like, such as almonds or pistachios, and use other dried fruits such as dried apricots or prunes.
At the time of eating it, it is ideal to heat it a little and pour a little honey or panela on top. And, of course, accompany it with a good cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy it.