The appearance of fungus on the feet is very common, mainly due to the inappropriate use of footwear in swimming pools or public baths. But what are its main causes and what symptoms or signs do they produce?
Foot fungus, also known more properly as onychomycosis; they are a problem of a relatively common nature that more than half of the global population suffers from.
These are generated by the lack of proper foot care; it is an infection that is established in the fingers and that causes discoloration and fragility of the nails that are in them. There are different types of fungi and ways to contract them, which can only be eliminated and eradicated under treatment.
It should be noted that foot fungi generally form in warm and humid environments, being part of the dermatophytes; this means that showers, swimming pools and changing rooms are the ideal place for the production of fungi.
In this article we will cover in timely manner aspects such as the causes that cause the appearance of fungus on the feet, and the symptoms that they cause in people who have them; as well as the most effective tricks to avoid this type of formation and to know, ergo, its biological foundations.
Causes of the appearance of foot fungus(onychomycosis)
The appearance of foot fungus can be caused by different factors, these by environmental characteristics or by others described below:
- Through a cut or opening: It is well known that the way infections are commonly generated is through openings or cuts in the skin; fungal organisms such as ringworm settle placidly in this type of cell formation.
- Wearing non-ventilated footwear: As the footwear that is normally worn does not have an optimal amount of ventilation, the fungus can easily develop and then continue to inhabit the affected area once it has developed on your feet. Zoonotic mycoses in this case are distributed to the nails and villi.
- Walking in humid environments: walking in humid environments promotes the formation of foot fungus, especially if it is in areas such as locker rooms or public showers; ecosystems for these multicellular organisms.
- Low blood flow to your feet: Having low blood flow to your feet allows the infection that causes foot fungus to act more easily, as your body is less able to detect the infection and fight it through the system immunological.
Common symptoms of foot fungus
When an infection occurs in the feet and the growth of a fungus occurs, there are a series of common symptoms that are visible in people suffering from onychomycosis; these are the following:
It may be the case that mild pain occurs in the affected area; this symptomatological picture can be intensified if the infection is extensive; In addition, it has been an entrance for various germs that can cause other infections.
Alterations occur in the affected nails, which change color and shape, taking on an unsightly appearance.
These alterations are divided into several groups:
- The distal subungual: which has been the most common condition in the big toe, the edge of the line begins to have a yellowish color and begins to thicken, where the surface becomes rougher and is at risk to fragment.
- The proximal subungual: in which damage to the root of the nail is observed, and with which yellowish and/or whitish areas can be observed that move towards the free end -being a rare type of onychomycosis-. It is more likely in people with AIDS.
- The superficial white: the latter begins with a whitening of the surface of the nail; they first appear as small dots that later join and form larger areas, these developed by melanonychia, which is caused by fungi different from the genus Trichophyton. The nail becomes intensely dark, to the point that a medical diagnosis is necessary so that it is not confused with a subungual hemorrhage.
- Onychodystrophy: which in most cases is the most serious and rare case of nail fungus; it deforms completely, becoming thick, curved and easily breaks into fragments.
If you suffer from any of these symptoms, do not hesitate to consult a podiatrist who can diagnose any condition mentioned above in time. The important thing here is to always make sure you take the proper precautions for proper foot care.