Puffy eyes are a very common eye disorder, which gives us a tired or exhausted appearance. Finding out why they have appeared and what their causes are will help you prevent them.
There are several changes that can appear in the eyes or in the skin area outside them in certain situations and times. Stress, anxiety and nerves, together with poor rest or not sleeping enough hours can influence its appearance, although it is also true that they can respond to the presence of an imbalance in the body.
With regard to the different problems that can arise in this area of our body, we can mention three fundamental ones: puffy eyes, dark circles and bags under the eyes. All of them can respond to very different causes, so discovering why they appear will help you to prevent them, or finally to treat them.
What are puffy eyes?
Puffy eyes are those that tend to be larger than usual, and may in turn appear red, tired or dilated, and also be accompanied by other related symptoms, such as dark circles.
That is, the eyes tend to swell and bulge and when this happens they are popularly known as puffy eyes. These symptoms appear especially when your tissues tend to retain fluids.
As a consequence, the eyes feel tired, which in turn gives the face an exhausted, unattractive and, above all, very unhealthy appearance.
What are the causes of puffy eyes?
As we indicated, its causes are actually varied. We discuss the most important below:
- Certain diseases: not only eye diseases, but others such as Cohn’s disease, liver problems or the presence of allergies.
- Tiredness, lack of sleep: Overwork insomnia problems or lack of adequate rest influence the appearance of puffy eyes.
- Fluid retention: As a result of poor circulatory drainage, fluid retention occurs under the eyes, which causes swelling of the surrounding tissues.
- Age: since it produces a weakening of the muscles that support the eyes. In addition, the skin also loses strength.
- Stress, nervousness and anxiety: maintaining a lot of stress or anxiety for long periods of time has a negative influence on the appearance of puffy eyes, since if we feel more nervous, the most common thing is that it is difficult for us to rest well.
How to prevent the appearance of puffy eyes?
If your eyes have not yet appeared swollen but you want to prevent them, there are some very simple natural tips that can be of great help:
1. Follow a varied, healthy and balanced diet
Believe it or not, following a healthy diet influences not only our health, but also our eyes, so that if we follow an unbalanced diet that is also not healthy, it will cause the appearance of dark circles, bags or puffiness.
It is very important that the diet is rich in natural foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those that are rich in certain vitamins (such as A, B and C) and minerals (such as zinc).
2. Sleep and rest enough and always in an adequate way
Resting well and sleeping properly is the best way to prevent the appearance of puffy eyes. But not only is it enough to rest for the proper hours (between 6 to 8 hours), it is also appropriate to do so with a comfortable pillow, which will help facilitate proper drainage of the eye area.
3. Take care of your eyes when working
If you work every day in front of the computer, it is convenient that you maintain proper eye habits: rest your eyes every 30 minutes, trying to get up from the chair and resting your eyes, avoid staring at the screen and avoid monitors or screens that malfunction or are in poor condition.