The dairy is one of the foods that have the best reputation. Its best known benefit is the high calcium benefit it has, which is especially advantageous for people of all ages. But, in addition, dairy products have many more benefits since they are an important source of protein.
However, it is also true that there are a wide variety of doubts about them, as well as many other myths, especially related to their supposed not so positive effects on health, as we explained to you on a previous occasion when we talked to you about all the truth about cow’s milk.
Main benefits of dairy products:
Maintenance of bone mass.
According to a study published by Gennari, the decrease in the consumption of dairy products and, therefore, calcium, is related to a reduction in bone mass. In this way, bone problems such as osteoporosis appear in elderly people.
Lowers blood pressure.
In 1999 a study was carried out which tried to establish the relationship between the consumption of dairy products and blood pressure. Well, by way of conclusion it was established that consuming three daily servings of whole dairy products, combined with the consumption of fruits and vegetables, reduced blood pressure in both the hypertensive and normotensive groups.
Control of cholesterol levels.
It has been shown that a daily serving of dairy products reduces the chances of suffering from metabolic syndrome by 40%, that is, mainly from high levels of cholesterol and glucose.
Those mentioned above are the three most important benefits of dairy products. But there are also others:
- Weight loss: Studies have shown that these types of foods help reduce body weight, being satiating, in a way that reduces the intake of other foods.
- Improves immune system: In general terms, dairy products have a great antibacterial effect. In this way, they are a great incentive to raise the body’s natural defenses.
- Cancer: Dairy products have a very powerful antioxidant effect. In addition, it has been shown that the cells of chemotherapy patients have increased their sensitivity thanks to this type of food.
- Muscle mass: Almost 100% of athletes consume dairy products on a daily basis because they are a great source of vitamins and promote an increase in muscle mass.
- Anxiety: A single glass of milk can significantly reduce stress.
Types of dairy and where they are obtained.
Although milk is the most popular dairy in the world, there is a large selection of dairy products. Here are some of the most elaborate and consumed today.
We explain how each of them are obtained and the different types that exist.
- Milk: Milk is the most consumed dairy product in the world. Milk includes products such as pasteurized milk or skimmed milk. Although in the past the consumption of raw milk was very popular, its consumption is decreasing by leaps and bounds, especially in developed countries.
- Cheese: Cheese is obtained by coagulating milk protein (casein), which is separated from whey. There are currently hundreds of varieties of cheese around the world; most of them are specific to a specific region. They are divided into hard, semi-hard, soft matured or unripe.
- Butter: One of the most consumed dairy products in developed countries. It is obtained by whipping sour whole milk.
- Cream: It is the part of the milk that is comparatively rich in fat; it is obtained by skimming or centrifuging the milk.
- Condensed milk: Another dairy product that is also widely consumed, although it is mainly used as a companion. It is obtained from the partial elimination of water from whole or skimmed milk.
Surely you already knew that these types of products are very rich in calcium, but the rest of the advantages of dairy products are more unknown to society. The recommended daily allowance for an adult of dairy is 2 or 3 servings.