Getting fat is something that not many people consider, since being overweight and obesity are unfortunately a very current problem. Knowing the tricks to gain weight can help you a lot.
Articles on overweight and obesity are, in fact, some of the topics most frequently used by many health professionals, mainly because we are faced with a regrettably common problem and of relative –and dangerous- importance today in our society. But what happens when a person actually seeks advice to gain weight? Is it possible to gain weight in a healthy, easy and simple way?
This is very common especially in people who, due to their own constitution, actually tend to be rather underweight, especially since they generally have a thin complexion. In fact, believe it or not, did you know that on many occasions it can be very difficult to gain weight? For this reason, it is very useful to know how to do it, but away from the so-called empty calories.
This occurs mostly in people with a metabolic disorder or disease, which is why it is necessary to ask ourselves why we want to gain weight beforehand.
Why do we want to gain weight and gain weight?
In the first place, it is essential to ask ourselves why we want to gain weight. Perhaps it could be because, in general, our constitution has always been thin, and in fact it is difficult for us to gain weight. However, it is also possible that it is difficult for us to gain weight because we are suffering from a basic disease or disorder that directly affects our weight.
Therefore, we must first attend to the following basic points, before continuing with our objective:
- Have you lost weight suddenly? In this case it is very important to go to the doctor, especially if you have lost weight unexpectedly and without having done anything to have lost it. The reason is that there are different diseases and health problems that cause sudden weight loss, as for example in the case of diseases as serious as cancer, since malignant tumors tend to consume large amounts of calories. There are also other conditions that cause weight loss, such as diabetes, thyroid problems, viral or bacterial infections, and celiac disease.
- Do you want to develop muscle mass ? If you want to gain weight in order to develop muscle mass, it is important to opt for anaerobic exercises, in addition to following a diet rich in protein and healthy fats.
- Do you want to raise it to look better? It may be the case that you want to gain a little weight because you are very thin. If so, and you do not have any health problems, then it can be useful to get it – yes – in a healthy way.
But before gaining weight, consult your doctor
Even if you do not currently have any health problems, diseases or conditions, it is very important to consult with your doctor and tell him that you want to gain weight. He is, in short, the most suitable for evaluating your health in general. In fact, it is quite likely that you check for a metabolic problem, be it diabetes or thyroid.
On the other hand, going to a nutritionist is another of the best options when it comes to gaining weight in a healthy way, since they will be in charge of evaluating your current state and your goals of gaining weight, they will help you and advise you on everything the process. In addition, it is essential for optimal control.
Tips to gain weight in a healthy way
Wanting to gain weight does not mean gaining weight neglecting your health, since you can lose weight by choosing a diet that is as healthy as healthy; you can also choose equally healthy foods, but to gain weight. In this case, the key is to consume more calories than our body burns.
Ultimately, the key is to gain weight on a regular and sustained basis over time, opting for healthier foods. And, to achieve this in a healthy way and without endangering our health, it is essential to consume between 300 to 500 calories more than our body burns per day.
Remember in this case that the goal is to gain weight, not neglect your health and even make the mistake of putting it in danger. Generally, to gain weight the most fundamental thing is to choose those foods that contain a more or less high level of calories, but not for that reason very sugary or greasy.
What are the best foods to gain weight
That is, we should not make the mistake of trying to gain weight quickly and choose to achieve it by foods high in fat and therefore in calories. That is to say, we must stay away from unhealthy foods such as pastries and sweets, sugary soft drinks, pizzas and hamburgers, fried foods…
To give just one example, foods rich in flour or pasta are extremely healthy and nutritious foods, which should not be lacking in a diet of this type. Taking toast with butter and jam is a good option, since butter (although caloric), provides calcium and nutrients to the body, while jam does the same with vitamins and minerals.
To drink, if you like beer you can opt for a glass of non-alcoholic beer, or a glass of wine with meals. Alcohol in this case provides calories, yes, but it is a healthy drink that also helps to take care of the body.
In reference to dairy, try to always consume whole ones, and cheeses that are without skim. It is not convenient, of course, that you increase the consumption of sugary drinks (such as soft drinks), or industrial pastries, since it will harm your health.
In short, the best foods to gain weight are the following:
- Whole grains: oatmeal stands out in particular.
- Seeds: high in nutrients and also in calories.
- Whole dairy: from milk to yogurt.
- Eggs: they provide calories, but also an interesting amount of proteins of high biological value.
- Pasta: as you surely know, pasta is rich in carbohydrates. But it is much better to opt for whole wheat pasta.
- Legumes: like eggs, they provide not only calories but also good quality protein.
- Nuts and dried fruits: they have a high amount of calories. In the case of nuts, they also stand out for providing healthy fats, while dried fruits are rich in sugars.
- Olive oil: we must bear in mind that a tablespoon of oil provides around 190 calories. Of course, it is better to opt for extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil (obviously not hydrogenated).
When is it not appropriate to gain weight?
Obviously, it is not always appropriate to gain weight even when you want to. For example, it is not recommended in the presence of any disease or health disorder, especially if it is the cause of your weight loss. In addition, it is not advisable when there is a risk that may affect you after gaining weight.