Sweet potato fritters are a typical Easter dessert, especially in the Canary Islands (especially La Palma). Discover how to make them at home with this recipe.
We are now very close to Holy Week and this week homes, candy stores and restaurants devote themselves to preparing traditional food recipes these days as well as sweets and desserts.
As we have said before, traditional recipes that have been transmitted from generation to generation and that are very widespread, are homemade recipes, simple to prepare, that allow us to taste and delight ourselves with different flavors, smells, and textures. And in which, in fact, the sweet potato has a lot to say.
Sweets such as wind buñuelos, stuffed buñuelos, French toast dipped in syrup, honey, or wine, rice pudding, pestiños, fried milk, donuts of different flavors such as orange and aniseed, bartolillos, the pan flowers…
And as it could not be less, we could not forget the popular flour pancakes, pumpkin pancakes, banana pancakes, sweet potato pancakes. As well as the Easter cakes and Easter cakes.
How to make sweet potato fritters:
Sweet potato fritters are typical Easter sweets, as with other sweets, they are also made at other times of the year such as Carnival or whenever we feel like tasting them. We can also find other equally popular options at Easter, such as those known as buñuelos de viento.
Sweet potato fritters are typical of the Island of La Palma during Easter, they are very easy to prepare and they are very tasty.
They are ideal to taste them both for breakfast and for dessert, as well as snacks accompanied by a hot chocolate, coffee, tea or an infusion.
As a dessert we can accompany it with a splash of honey, bathed in a light syrup, or accompanied by a scoop of ice cream.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes.
- Water and salt to cook the sweet potatoes.
- A tablespoon of flour.
- The juice of half a lemon.
- A tablespoon of sugar.
- A glass of sweet wine.
- Sunflower oil for frying or olive oil.
- Powdered sugar to decorate.
- Honey or syrup to coat.
- Remove the skin from the sweet potatoes, wash them and cut them in half.
- We put the sweet potatoes in a cauldron; add water to cover them and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the sweet potatoes over medium heat until tender.
- Once they are cooked, drain the water and mash them well with a fork until they are pureed. We can use the blender too.
- Add the sweet wine, lemon juice, sugar, flour to the sweet potato puree and knead everything together.
- When we have formed the dough, we are taking with the help of spoon portions of the dough to form the balls of fritters.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to fry the fritters. When the oil is very hot, fry the fritters. We brown on both sides.
- We are depositing the fried fritters on a plate covered with absorbent paper or napkins to drain the excess oil.
- Let the fritters cool.
- When they are cold before presenting them on the table, sprinkle them with icing sugar.
At the time of tasting them we can accompany them with a splash of honey or syrup.