The obesity has become in recent years a real epidemic, which affects millions of people around the world, and in fact goes increasingly growing, especially in early ages even good (childhood obesity).
There are several treatments that exist to reduce obesity and overweight. As you know, maintaining a healthy diet based on fruits, vegetables, vegetables, fish and white meat is essential in this regard.
But in some cases, natural treatments based on diet and exercise do not work at all, at which point what is known as obesity surgery must be considered.
Surgery for obesity
He is known for obesity surgery to the type of surgery that, precisely, is used in the treatment for obesity, the most it recommended in those cases where neither diet nor exercise has helped in weight loss.
It is performed in clinics and hospitals that have specialized units, in whose operations a wide variety of specialists in the field participate (from anesthetists to endocrinologists, through surgeons and psychiatrists).
As we explained in a much summarized way in the previous lines, this treatment will only be applied to those people who have a Body Mass Index (BMI calculator) greater than or equal to 40, or with an index greater than 35, always and when they present diseases considered serious related to obesity.
Surgical techniques and treatments for obesity
There are mainly three types of obesity surgeries:
- Restrictive technique: They are those that reduce the volume of the stomach, and weight loss occurs mainly due to less food intake.
- Malabsorptive technique: It maintains the intake of the food itself but causes a malabsorption of the same, eliminating most of the nutrients through deposition.
- Mixed technique: It is a combination of the above.
This type of surgery has a series of contraindications that prevent its use in the following cases:
- Clinical history of drug addiction and / or alcoholism.
- Congeneric and endocrine obesity.
- Neoplastic kidney or liver disease in advanced stage.
- Severe psychiatric disorder.
- Presence of mental retardation (moderate or profound).