Do you want to make a roscón de Reyes at home? We present this delicious recipe that stands out for being easy and simple, ideal for those who want to make a roscón without getting too complicated. You dare?
It’s not long before Three Kings’ Day arrives and in many homes we already have our ingredients ready to start making the traditional Roscón de Reyes. We can say that the Christmas Holidays culminate with this traditional sweet, tasting the Roscón de Reyes accompanied by the whole family is an endearing and cozy moment.
The Roscón is a crown-shaped bun that is decorated on the outside with candied fruits, and its interior can be filled with different flavors of fillings such as cream, chocolate, pastry cream or even made without filling. Inside the roscón is a small figurine and a bean or bean.
Once the roscón is divided, the person who touches the figurine will be placed with the crown of the Wise Man and whoever gets the bean or broad bean, according to tradition, will have to pay for the roscón.
The Roscón de Reyes is usually served accompanied by a cup of hot chocolate for breakfast on the morning of Three Kings. It is also usually served as a dessert that day or as a snack.
With the ingredients that we provide in this recipe we will have a very large roscón, if you would like it smaller, put only half of the ingredients. We have decorated our roscón with candied oranges but you can decorate them with the candied or candied fruits that you prefer or that you like the most. It is a recipe to make the classic Roscón, without filling.
How to make an easy and simple roscón de Reyes:
- A kilo of plain wheat flour.
- 30 grams of fresh baker’s yeast.
- Half a liter of warm milk.
- 5 grams of coarse salt.
- 6 rather large eggs.
- 4 tablespoons of orange blossom water.
- The skin of a grated orange.
- The grated skin of a lemon.
- 250 grams of sugar.
- 300 grams of butter.
Ingredients for decoration:
- Candied orange.
- Red candied cherries.
- A beaten egg (to brush and shine)
- 250 grams of sliced almonds.
- Icing sugar or luster to decorate.
- A bean or broad bean.
- A surprise, (a small figurine).
- A gold cardboard crown.
- In a bowl or glass bowl, put the flour, the yeast, the orange blossom water, the lemon and orange zest.
- Mix everything well and add the 6 previously beaten eggs, the salt, the sugar, and the melted butter, mix all the ingredients well and knead.
- When the dough has a compact texture, without lumps, we form a ball.
- Then moisten a cloth with water to wrap the ball of dough.
- We reserve the ball of dough in the fridge for five hours so that it rises.
- Once the time has elapsed, we remove the dough that must be risen from the refrigerator.
- We are extending the dough already giving the shape to the roscón.
- In the hole of the donut, in the center, we put a cup or a bowl so that at the end there is the traditional shape of a donut.
- We carefully introduce the broad bean or bean and the small figurine into the dough of the roscón.
- Now we will brush the roscón with a beaten egg and with a brush, we will brush the entire roscón.
- Once brushed we are putting the decorations, the candied oranges, the red cherries and the laminated almonds.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 220º C, for 15 minutes.
- Once the oven is preheated, we introduce the roscón and cook it at a temperature of 120º C for 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the roscón from the oven and let it cool.
- A little before taking it to the table, sprinkle it with icing sugar.
- And as it could not be less, we encourage you to discover our chocolate recipe
We have already prepared our Roscón de Reyes, now we just need to taste it in company and a good cup of warm chocolate, do you dare to make it?