Are you passionate about Christmas nougat but do you prefer them without sugar? We propose some wonderful recipes for nougat without sugar that you can easily make at home.
If there is a typical Christmas dessert that, at the same time as delicious, stands out for being one of the most traditional of these endearing and popular festivals, those are almost without a doubt the nougat. And it is that although today it is possible to find a wide variety of nougat in the supermarket of all flavors, textures and colors, there is no doubt that the classics par excellence will always remain undaunted.
But do you really know what nougat is? It basically consists of a sweet dough or paste, which is obtained by cooking honey (or other sugars) to which other equally basic ingredients are added, such as peeled and toasted almonds. It is also possible to add egg white in order to emulsify and thus acquire a better texture.
This is, we could put it that way, the traditional, classic and original nougat. And among the most classic options, two stand out above all: the wonderful nougat from Jijona and the crunchy and tasty nougat from Alicante.
As we mentioned, today it is normal to find ourselves in the supermarket with a wide variety of nougats. This is an excellent opportunity for those who do not want to make it at home. And, especially, for those who suffer from diabetes or do not want to consume nougat with high amounts of sugar, since it is also possible to find us with sugar-free nougat.
But what if we want to make them at home? Likewise, it is possible to enjoy excellent homemade nougat made without added sugar, which thus becomes a deliciously nutritious option for those who do not want to consume more sugar than some of the ingredients used in its preparation could already provide.
Do you dare to prepare them with us? We propose 3 wonderful homemade nougat without sugar.
Jijona nougat without sugar
Jijona nougat is the most typical and traditional nougat par excellence. Its main ingredient is almonds, and it is made by mixing toasted almonds with honey and egg white, which is subsequently cooked until a texture that is as homogeneous as possible is achieved. It is also popularly known as soft nougat.
- 300g ground almonds
- 250g coconut sugar
- Zest or zest of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Preparation of Jijona nougat without sugar:
- First we are going to toast the almonds. To do this, put baking paper on the oven tray and bake at high temperature for 5 minutes. Once toasted, let them cool down a bit.
- In the meantime, we can crush the coconut sugar to make it even finer. To do this we can place it in the glass of the blender or in the crusher. Beat or grind well until you get a fine coconut sugar.
- Once we have the crushed coconut sugar, add the lemon zest and the cinnamon powder. Shred again.
- Now put all the ingredients in the glass of the food processor or blender and beat everything very well until the almonds begin to release the oil.
- When the dough is ready put it in a mold. Put baking paper on top and then a weight that helps the dough take the shape of nougat.
- Let it sit for about 10 hours.
- After this time you can enjoy it.
Nougat from Alicante without sugar
Alicante nougat is another of those typical Christmas desserts, which we can also find every Christmas in many homes in our country. Traditionally it consists of nougat that is made with lightly toasted and whole almonds, to which honey is added and it is finished by placing a wafer on both its upper and lower part.
- 650g roasted and whole almonds
- 2 egg whites
- 1 package of wafers
- 400g of fructose
- 5 drops of anise
- 3 tablespoons of water
Preparation of Alicante nougat without sugar:
- In a saucepan prepare a syrup. To do this, put the 3 tablespoons of water and the fructose, until you get a hard ball point (that is, quite consistency). Remove from heat and reserve.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl or bowl and beat them well until they get stiff.
- In a large bowl, add the toasted almonds, the egg whites until stiff, the syrup and the anise.
- Work well with the help of a spatula until all the dough or pasta is well united.
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray, put the arranged wafers on the bottom, and turn the dough out onto the tray.
- Smooth and place another wafer on top.
- To finish, put a wooden board with some weight on it. Reserve like this for a few days.
- After this time it is ready, you can consume it and enjoy it.