Properties of sage, a plant with useful medicinal benefits to relax our mind and relieve symptoms of digestive and stomach discomfort.
The sage is a plant belonging to the family of Lamiaceae leading from time immemorial used as a remedy and natural analgesic to treat all kinds of diseases and conditions of the time themselves. Although it was also used (and is still used) a lot in the field of gastronomy, as a condiment in many dishes due to its most characteristic smell and aroma.
The one known as ‘ salvia officinalis’ is cultivated throughout all regions of the planet. Although it is precisely in Central America, South America, Asia and the entire Mediterranean basin where the largest number of species of this plant is concentrated.
As a curious fact, it should be noted that the term salvia comes from the Latin verb “salvare” which as you may well know means “save”. In fact, this herb was already used in the Roman Empire where Pliny the Elder was the first to describe all the medicinal benefits offered by sage in general.
Properties of sage that you should know
What about you? Would you like to know first-hand all the benefits that this plant gives us for health? If so, we are only going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines.
Sage is a natural antibiotic
Surely many of you are most prone to flu and colds just at the precise moment when temperatures begin to drop.
In this sense, sage you will help considerably to cure these two conditions annoying thanks to its high content of vitamin A and C. And on top of that it has expectorant effects and therefore it will be most useful for treating hoarseness, aphonia, angina or pharyngitis.
Beneficial for our stomach
Sage has been shown to be the most beneficial for our stomach health. In fact, many people take it to treat diarrhea, gastritis, vomiting or heartburn after eating a very large meal. It also promotes digestion, eliminates excess flatulence, bloating in the abdomen and hiatal hernia.
A glass of sage infusion a day will be the most beneficial for those who suffer from diabetes. The reason? Well, because this medicinal plant helps to considerably reduce blood glucose levels.
It also has diuretic effects, which is why many people take it to say goodbye to fluid retention while at the same time wanting to lose weight and take care of their line.
Relieves menstrual cramps
We just have to give them good news. And it is that sage is going to help them mitigate the pain from their menstrual cycle in a more than remarkable way, so it is ideal when it comes to calming ovarian pain.
It is also a powerful natural analgesic that will help us treat headaches, stitches in the abdomen and those pains that often appear in the part of the ovaries.
It helps to sleep
If you are one of those many people who suffer from insomnia, we are going to recommend that you take a good infusion of sage just a few minutes before going to sleep and you will see how you will be able to fall asleep in just a few minutes. Therefore, it goes without saying that this plant is a powerful ally to treat insomnia and to be able to sleep like this for about 7 or 8 hours without any problem.
How can we take sage? Here some ideas
Surely after having read all these lines it has become much clearer to you the amount of properties contained in sage in general. Therefore, below we are going to close this article to tell you about the different ways that exist to take it.
- Teas or infusions. It is possible to find sage teas or infusions already prepared directly in the supermarket that you just have to mix with a little warm water. It is also a very diuretic drink that will help you lose those extra kilos and get a flatter stomach.
- As a condiment. You can also buy dried sage leaves to combine later with thyme and rosemary. In this way, you get a mixture of pantas that will serve to season your meat and fish or simply to make a rich natural tomato sauce that will be completely delicious.
Sage contraindications to consider
However, sage also has a number of contraindications that must be taken into account. One of them has to do especially with those people who suffer from epilepsy since it can cause more attacks if they consume this plant in large quantities.
Sage is also not suitable for everyone with kidney failure. And neither should those women who are prone to develop benign tumors take it since the consumption of sage triggers the production of estrogens.
Sage benefits. Ideal for:
- Helps reduce cold and flu problems, angina, pharyngitis, hoarseness or hoarseness.
- It acts on ulcers, cuts and wounds, helping to heal them and preventing them from later becoming infected.
It is also used for its benefits and properties as a natural remedy. In these cases it is used against:
- Stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting and heavy digestion; preparing 3 cups of sage infusion a day will be enough for these symptoms to disappear.
- Gastritis or nervous gastritis, flatus or hiatal hernias, sage will help alleviate these diseases.
- For especially nervous people, to whom sage infusions will help reduce symptoms and the feeling of nervousness will decrease.
- For women with painful menstruation, since sage helps relieve menstrual pain such as headache, ovarian pain and fluid retention during this period.
- Protects diabetics to decrease the increase in blood sugar level; for this a glass a day is highly recommended.
- In addition, a glass of infusion before going to sleep will help you fall asleep, which is why it is recommended for people who suffer from insomnia.
These are just some of the properties of sage, although it is also widely used as a muscle relaxant, for oral infusions, for fertility as it helps the production of testosterone, for people suffering from Alzheimer’s, and as a beauty product it can be very positive to strengthen hair in case of loss together with rosemary and thyme.