Benefits of pumpkin seed milk, a healthy vegetable drink with very interesting nutritional properties. Also discover how to make it at home with the two delicious recipes that we propose.
Every year thousands of people in our country are diagnosed with lactose intolerance. These people have a lactase deficiency, so that their body is not able to absorb lactose correctly in the small intestine, passing quickly to the large intestine without first having decomposed, starting to ferment.
It is even common that many people do not know it. In this sense, many nutritionists advise paying attention to the symptoms or discomfort that may appear when we drink a glass of animal milk (for example from cow). If we feel indigestion, abdominal pain, flatulence, diarrhea, skin problems … it is possible that you suffer from lactose intolerance.
The solution obviously is to avoid the consumption of milk rich in lactose (such as those of animal origin), and opt for plant-based milks, which are obtained from seeds or plant products.
Pumpkin seed milk benefits
The milk obtained from pumpkin seeds provides practically the same nutritional benefits as pumpkin or pumpkin oil, since it keeps its nutritional richness intact.
Interesting nutritional qualities
On the one hand, it is a drink extremely rich in healthy fatty acids, as is the case with linoleic and linolenic fatty acids. On the other hand, it provides vitamins (vitamin A, E and F) and minerals (magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and iron).
Of course, as it is not rich in calcium, if we want this vegetable milk to become a good substitute for cow’s milk, it is best to add a cup of peeled raw almonds or sesame seeds to the preparation.
Useful against cholesterol and triglycerides
Pumpkin seeds provide healthy fatty acids , which is why they become an excellent natural option when it comes to reducing high levels of fats in the blood, particularly – as you surely know – both cholesterol (especially LDL cholesterol) and triglycerides.
Therefore, it is a very interesting vegetable drink in cases where there are high levels of cholesterol and / or triglycerides in the blood.
Excellent drink for men
Pumpkin seeds are especially rich in zinc, making them an excellent natural drink for men, especially for those who want to have children.
The reason is found in that zinc is a fundamental and essential nutrient for reproduction, by helping to improve the quality of semen, as well as increasing the amount of sperm.
Just as beneficial also for women
But its qualities are not only interesting for the man who wishes to have children; it is also for women. Why? Very simple: due to its richness in zinc, it is useful for the creation of new cells for growth.
In addition, it provides vitamin E, which helps protect the eggs and helps generate an adequate endometrium for proper fertilization and implantation.
Properties of pumpkin seed milk, in summary
Taking into account the different nutritional values it provides, we can highlight the following benefits of pumpkin seed milk:
- Thanks to its richness in fatty acids, it helps maintain a good cardiovascular system, in turn preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Helps to care for and protect the health of the skin.
- Due to its vitamin A content, it is useful to strengthen our eyesight.
- Thanks to its richness in zinc, it helps to strengthen our defenses, as well as being an interesting nutritional remedy to improve fertility in men.
- It is especially suitable in case of prostate problems, as it helps to disinfect and reduce inflammation.
- Helps eliminate intestinal parasites.
How to make pumpkin seed milk:
As we explained previously, pumpkin seed milk is a milk of vegetable origin that is obtained from passing the pumpkin seeds through a blender, which allows it to become a suitable alternative for those who suffer from intolerance to the lactose and cannot drink milk of animal origin that is especially rich in lactose.
It is a suitable and healthy drink from a nutritional point of view, thanks to its richness in essential fatty acids (linoleic and linolenic), vitamins (vitamins A, E and F) and minerals (zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and iron).
However, we must bear in mind that in order for it to originally become an excellent nutritional alternative to cow’s milk, due to its low calcium content, it is best to add a handful of almonds to the recipe.
Ingredients to make pumpkin seed milk:
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of honey or brown sugar (optional)
Steps to make pumpkin seed milk:
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin as we explain in the note how to obtain pumpkin oil.
- Once removed, soak the seeds for at least 4 hours.
- Add the tablespoons of the natural sweetener that you prefer in the blender glass, and pass through the blender until a grainy texture is left.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer, and filter with the help of a fine cloth.
After preparing and preserving it (especially if you are not going to consume it on the fly once you have prepared it), it is totally normal for the nutritional part to separate from the liquid. Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean it’s spoiled or bad. You just have to stir it well again when serving.
If you wish, you can sweeten it with the sweetener that you like the most, although we prefer panela or honey. On the other hand, we advise you to add a little vanilla essence when making it, and a pinch of cinnamon on top when you go to drink it. Delicious!
Another delicious recipe to make pumpkin seed milk
If you have already tried the previous recipe and you liked it, you will probably also be encouraged to make this other recipe that we will talk about next. It is a delicious option for those who enjoy the aroma and flavor of spices, since it is a more aromatic vegetable drink (being spicy).
- Fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 l. of water
- 2 dates (to sweeten)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Half (1/2) teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of mozcada walnut
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
Making Spiced Pumpkin Seed Milk:
- First we must soak the dates. To do this, heat a little water in a saucepan and when it is warm add the dates. Let them soak for at least 2 hours.
- After this time put the dates, the water where you have soaked them, the half-liter of water and the seeds in the blender glass, and crush everything very well.
- Then strain the drink with the help of a special bag, a cloth or a strainer.
- Now add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cardamom. Mix well with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Ready! You can already enjoy it.