With the pumpkin you can make a delicious homemade and sweet flan, ideal as a dessert for autumn days and evenings. We explain what ingredients you need and the steps to follow.
This pumpkin flan recipe is a sweet recipe, easy to prepare, and nutritious at the same time. You may be wondering why it is a nutritious dessert since it is a sweet recipe that is made with sugar (especially when it comes to making caramel).
One good reason is the nutritional properties that pumpkin and eggs bring to this dessert. We can highlight that pumpkin is an antioxidant vegetable, rich in water and fiber, contains vitamins A, B vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, B6, vitamins C and E.
Pumpkin also contains minerals such as: potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, calcium and folate. Eggs are a nutritious and healthy food. Rich in proteins, vitamins A, D, E, and B vitamins, and the minerals it contains are iron, sodium, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium.
The liquid caramel that we will put in the flan can be made with the homemade recipe or we can use the industrial caramel that we can get already prepared. But personally we recommend that if you like to make a homemade caramel it is always the best option, and for this we also provide you with the recipe.
How to make pumpkin flan:
- 500 grams of pumpkin.
- 6 large eggs.
- A small can of condensed milk.
- Homemade or industrial liquid caramel.
Ingredients to make the caramel:
- 6 tablespoons of sugar.
- 2 tablespoons of water.
- We start by removing the skin from the pumpkin.
- Next, we wash it well, divide it into two pieces and cook it in a cauldron with enough water to cover it.
- When we notice that it is tender, we drain the water.
- With the help of the blender or food mill, we will crush the pumpkin.
- In a bowl put the eggs and beat them well.
- Add the beaten eggs to the pumpkin puree and also add the condensed milk.
- We beat everything together and reserve to make the caramel.
- In a saucepan or small heater, put the sugar and water on the fire.
- We are doing it with low heat and stirring constantly.
- We give the caramel the desired color. If we darken it a lot, it will be bitterer.
- Turn off the heat and pour it into the bottom of the mold or flan box.
- We distribute the caramel on the bottom and the walls of the mold.
- Then add the prepared mixture to the mold.
- We prepare the pressure cooker to prepare the flan in a bain-marie.
- We can also make the flan in a bain-marie cauldron without using a pressure cooker.
- Put the mold in the pot and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once the time has elapsed, turn off the heat and carefully remove the mold.
- Let cool and when cool, unmold and store in the fridge.
- At the time of serving it you can give it the presentation you prefer.
- Accompanied with a little cane syrup or cream, it is very tasty.