Do you know what plantain is? It is a medicinal plant with ideal benefits in case of constipation and hemorrhoids. Discover its properties and contraindications.
Originally from northern India, Pakistan, Iran and Egypt, the plantain has been postulated as one of the plants to be taken into account today due to the amount of properties and medicinal benefits they offer for our body. However, it is precisely in the seed coat (also called integuments) where its most relevant advantages are contained.
It should be noted that the plantago belongs to the plantaginácea family, its bushes can perfectly reach 60 cm in height and its leaves are characterized by being senile and are usually pollinated by the mere effect of the wind.
Already in prehistoric times, this bush was used as a powerful natural remedy to treat a multitude of flu, colds or any other viral condition with highly satisfactory results. For this reason, this plant is still used today in all kinds of teas, oils and infusions.
Plantago main benefits
So, would you like to know what other advantages this plant offers for our health? Well before this, we are going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines since we are going to relate in great detail the amount of benefits that the plantain has for our health.
It is ideal for treating constipation
A tea or infusion made with this plant will help us considerably to get rid of those constipation pictures that can become so annoying. Therefore, we recommend that you accompany this plant with a good piece of fruit at breakfast or before going to sleep. And we are sure that both your intestine and your stomach will thank you.
Relieves pain and discomfort of hemorrhoids
Surely many of you have suffered those painful and annoying hemorrhoids at some time in your life. Would you like to eliminate or at least mitigate its symptoms next time? Well, have a tea or infusion of plantago a couple of times a week, and you will see how you can say goodbye to hemorrhoids much sooner than you imagine.
It is a most satiating plant
It is very normal that when we have the most atrocious hunger, we are very prone to eat a large amount of food in the shortest possible time. However, this only means neglecting our line and gaining overweight.
Given this, it is best to have a plantain drink before any lunch or dinner. And you will see how a feeling of satiety floods your body.
Fiber will lower blood cholesterol levels
The seeds of the plantago are an inexhaustible source of fiber. This means that thanks to this nutrient we will be able to combat some conditions such as high cholesterol while at the same time we will enjoy better intestinal health. For this reason, this plant is also a powerful ally to take care of our line in a completely healthy and natural way.
What are the contraindications of plantain?
However, the excessive consumption of plantain can have a series of counter-effects or side effects. And then we tell you some of them:
- Decreases the absorption of iron. Plantago has been shown to cause iron not to be synthesized correctly in our body. Therefore, it should not be consumed by those who suffer from anemia.
- It can cause intestinal problems. Certain people may suffer from some intestinal problems that can later translate into stomach and abdominal pain, vomiting and nausea.
- Some people are allergic to ispaghula. This consists of a nutrient (very present in this plant) that in high doses can have allergic effects that will later lead to mild asthma or tearing eyes.
Plantago properties, in summary
Below we summarize some of the main benefits of plantago, a medicinal plant that, as we have seen, is ideal for treating constipation:
- Ideal against constipation.
- It is capable of increasing the fecal bolus.
- Facilitates the smooth transit of intestinal content.
- Protects the digestive mucosa in case of colitis.
- Useful for the treatment of chronic constipation.
- It is ideal within the satiating plants in diets.