Do you want to try delicious and different chutney? With a mild flavor from the pear and slightly spicy from the ginger, it is ideal for meat dishes or couscous.
It is possible that you have never tried it, although it is likely that, when you do, you may have mixed feelings: as it is a kind of sweet and sour flavor jam (which sometimes and depending on the ingredients used in its preparation can also be spicy), you may like it or not. We are talking about chutney, an exquisite bitter sweet jam that is extremely easy to prepare, and that combines very well with meat and vegetable dishes. Among them the most popular is mango chutney, although there are also other exquisite preparations, such as pear and ginger chutney.
This chutney is ideal especially for meat dishes with a mild flavor, such as turkey or chicken. And it is that both ingredients combine very well, since the softness of the pear mixes with the slightly spicy and aromatic flavor of ginger.
Its preparation is really simple, so that in just 50 minutes you can have your pear and ginger chutney, to which if you wish you can add a good handful of walnuts (the result will undoubtedly be better).
Pear and ginger chutney
- 1 kg of pears
- 230g Grammy Smith apples
- 180 g of raisins
- 220 g onion
- 200g sugar
- 450 g apple cider vinegar
- 120 g walnuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground ginger
- The juice and peel of an orange
- Half a tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- Half a tablespoon of nutmeg
- Half a tablespoon of salt
How to make pear and ginger chutney:
- Peel the onions and cut them into several pieces. Do the same with the apples, trying to cut them to the same size (for example, into cubes). Arrange a saucepan, add the apple cider vinegar, onions and chopped apples, and cook over low heat for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the orange to squeeze it on one side, and trim the skin on the other. Reserve it.
- When the cooking of the saucepan where we have added the apple cider vinegar has reached the indicated time, add the orange peel, the raisins, the fresh ginger previously ground and the salt. Mix well. Add the apple juice and sugar, soaking for 30 minutes.
- If you are going to add walnuts to the preparation, now is the time to do it. To do this, peel and chop them. Put them in a pan over the fire and toast them a little. Then add them to the chutney.
- Peel the pears and chop them. Add them to the saucepan, along with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well and let it cool.
- Finally pour into previously sterilized jars, keeping it there.
- What to eat pear and ginger chutney with
- Although any variety of chutney combines very well with any meat dish, the truth is that pear and ginger chutney is ideal for turkey and chicken meat dishes.
- But they are not the only dishes where this chutney is particularly good. For example, it is ideal with cheese dishes (due to the sweet and sour taste of pear chutney and the mild to strong flavor of the variety of cheeses we choose), and also with cereals such as couscous.