There is nothing more uncomfortable and annoying than having sensitive gums, but what are its causes and what to do to alleviate them? We offer you some tips that will be of great help to you.
The tender gums is a delicate matter, which can be caused by different reasons, either by inflammation of the gums -that say gingivitis- production, or use of certain medications.
It can also appear after having the habit of smoking or after having diseases such as AIDS and cancer, diabetes and even due to genetic transmission as a side effect of some medicine.
Before starting to talk about natural tips and tricks to relieve sensitive gums, it should be noted that gum sensitivity is not the same as tooth sensitivity, the latter being only the presence of pain when a liquid or food Cold comes into contact with the teeth, and this causes pain, which in reality is only due to the wear of the tooth surface, that is, the enamel.
However, gum sensitivity is a more serious problem, and is commonly known in its early stages as gingivitis. In its evolution it can become periodontitis, where the gums move away from the teeth and form spaces that become infected.
If precisely you feel or observe symptoms that may mean the appearance of sensitivity in the gums, do not hesitate to go to your dentist, since the treatment applied quickly is always essential on these occasions.
In the case of sensitive gums, the following symptoms can be observed: noticeable sensitivity in the teeth and gums, severe pain when chewing and bleeding that appears in the gums very frequently.
In addition to these common signs, it is also possible for the gums to become red and inflamed, bad breath (halitosis) appears, and the gums retract so that the teeth appear longer than normal.
Natural tips and tricks to soothe sensitive gums
Here are some facts that can help you relieve pain when suffering from sensitive gums and that you should avoid making them worse and do more damage to them.
- The use of powdered milk: chewing a tablespoon of powdered milk every morning will help strengthen the gums and teeth, speeding up the healing process of inflamed gums.
- Avoid the use of dental floss: Although dental floss helps you clean your teeth normally, when you already suffer from bleeding gums, the only thing that will cause is to worsen the trauma, worsening the bleeding and inflammation of this, refrain from the use of this tool if you already suffer from sensitive gums.
- Use a soft brush: When suffering from sensitive gums, you should use a soft brush and not too hard so as not to worsen the condition of the gums, your personal dentist should recommend a good ideal toothbrush for you when treating this problem.
- Do not smoke: Smoking when you have a sensitive gum problem can make the problem worse than you think, try to quit smoking, at least until your gums are completely healthy.
- Salt and water solution: Rinse your mouth with salt and water to relieve gum irritation and inflammation, as salt works as an antibacterial agent.
- Drink plenty of water: This helps eliminate waste and bacteria from the food that remains in your mouth, thus preventing the formation of dental plaque, not to mention stimulating the production of saliva.
- Use hot and cold compresses: Placing hot and cold compresses on your face in the mouth or cheek section can relieve the pain of swollen gums, hot compresses are better to calm the pain they produce, while cold compresses They are more efficient in reducing inflammation, remember to apply the compresses to the face, not directly to the gums, this could produce instead of an improvement an irritation produced by sudden temperature changes in the soft tissues.
- Remember that whenever you suffer from sensitive gums you should go to your doctor to make the necessary diagnosis and treat you, since if you do not go they could put you in such a severe condition that it would mean the total loss of the affected teeth.
- Later, after the problem has been fixed, you can start using these pain relief tips for sensitive gums as you recover.
- Of course, remember, to avoid the appearance of sensitive gums, try a good complete dental cleaning.