Babies and ChildrenLice in children: symptoms, how they are spread and how to eliminate...

Lice in children: symptoms, how they are spread and how to eliminate them

Did you know that the spread of lice on the child’s head does not mean that there is dirt or poor hygiene? Find out how they are spread, how to prevent and eliminate them.

Lice are a group of parasites that usually reach the size of a sesame seed and are characterized above all by the fact that they “install” throughout the entire scalp of the human being in order to feed on their blood and thus continue growing.

The so-called Pediculus Humanus (popularly known as lice), is an admittedly tiny parasite of between 2 to 3 mm, which uses its tweezers to grasp the hairs of the head, and thus inject a toxin into the scalp that produces an itch irritating.

Although the opposite is popularly believed, the appearance of lice in children (and adults) is not linked to poor hygiene, especially since it is even known that they prefer clean hair.

Its speed to reproduce (up to 200 eggs or nits throughout its life) and its great mobility are its greatest weapons, and some elements that make its elimination more difficult.

How do head lice spread?

The one also known as pediculosis usually appears especially among those children between 3 and 11 years old since it is precisely when they begin to play with other children and that is where the parasite itself “crawls” from one side to the other. After a simple contact of their heads.

It is also possible to catch them after coming into direct contact with the hat or comb of a person who has skin. Finally, it should be noted that neither hygiene nor personal hygiene are related to the contraction of lice.

What symptoms do head lice produce?

Once this is known, we will go through the different symptoms that can denote the existence of this parasite:

  • Generalized itching this is usually caused by an allergic reaction to lice and nits.
  • Tingling in the scalp. Produced mainly by the action of these parasites.
  • Appearance of sores. Produced by scratching too much in the area. If this is abused, more serious infections can develop.
  • Insomnia problems. Due in part because lice are usually much more active at night.

How can we treat lice?

Currently, there are many treatments in the form of shampoos, creams and lotions that can be purchased without a prescription. Although when in doubt, the best thing we can do is consult our trusted pediatrician or doctor. From there, the following steps will have to be followed:

  1. It is very important to follow the instructions on the package insert. In this way, we will ensure that the desired effect is achieved in the shortest possible time.
  2. It should be used exclusively on the hair of the hair. And do not apply it to other more sensitive areas where hair grows, as rashes or unwanted allergies may appear.
  3. Avoid using two different products at the same time. And if you do, as long as it is under the supervision of a doctor or pediatrician.
  4. Use a fine tooth comb. After applying the product in question, it is very important to rinse the area and then use a special comb (fine-toothed) to get rid of any traces of lice or dead nit.
  5. Check hair every two or three days. It is very important to check the condition of the hair every two or three days to see if the product is working. If so, in two to three weeks, the parasites will disappear completely.

Practical tips to prevent lice

Is it possible to prevent our children from contracting lice? Although in most cases it is quite difficult, there are a series of tips that will surely be very useful from now on:

  • Educating children is very important. To do this, we will have to make them see that they do not have to be in direct contact with the children (especially with their heads). It is also important to instill in them that they should not share brushes, headbands or hair ties with others.
  • Wash sheets and clothes in hot water. In this way, we make sure to get rid of any traces of lice or nits
  • Leave the brushes soaking in hot water. This will be another way to “disinfect” them and thus reduce the chances of the child contracting these parasites.

At any sign, talk to the school. If our child has any symptoms related to lice, it is very necessary to let them know at school or daycare in order to prevent other children from being infected.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Subscribe Today

GET EXCLUSIVE FULL ACCESS TO PREMIUM CONTENT

EXPERT ANALYSIS OF AND EMERGING TRENDS IN CHILD WELFARE AND JUVENILE JUSTICE

Get unlimited access to our EXCLUSIVE Content and our archive of subscriber stories.

Exclusive content

Latest article

More article