The properties of kiwi make it a fruit with important benefits against constipation, fluid retention and heat, as it is refreshing. Discover all the benefits it brings.
The kiwi can become a powerful ally when it comes to enjoying a good quality of life. It seems incredible that such a small fruit is an inexhaustible source of vitamins and minerals that ultimately promote proper functioning of our body.
If to all this we add a very sweet flavor together with a very characteristic texture, kiwi is undoubtedly one of the few fruits that we can add in a rich fruit salad along with other fruits such as apple, banana or orange.
In short, it has innumerable nutritional values that we will gradually unravel through the following lines. Are you curious to know them? Well then you will have no choice but to use the five senses.
Kiwifruit is high in vitamin C
Kiwi is, together with mandarin and orange, one of the foods with the highest concentration of vitamin C, an essential component so that we can enjoy a strong immune system that protects us from certain viral diseases (especially from colds and flu). Once this is known, we are going to tell about some other benefits that this vitamin provides:
- It is a powerful antioxidant. This vitamin creates a strong resistance to free radicals. These occur when, for example, we smoke and the body is directly exposed to tobacco smoke.
- Repairs and promotes the growth of our tissues. In this way we will be less exposed to suffering injuries in any part of our body. It also makes them heal faster because the tissues will rebuild faster.
Very rich in potassium, folic acid and fiber
The benefits of kiwi do not end exclusively in the first point. This green fruit is also rich in minerals such as potassium, folate and fiber, three essential elements that we will gradually unravel:
- Potassium is undoubtedly the mineral par excellence that will enhance the proper growth of our entire body. It also manages to normalize all our blood pressure and therefore is a great ally to combat hypertension.
- Folic acid. Folic acid enhances the production of red blood cells throughout our body, thus ensuring that oxygen reaches all our veins and capillaries in a much more efficient way. Its consumption is also recommended in all pregnant women. The reason? Well, because it encourages the production of nucleic acids (DNA). That is, all that genetic information that will later be installed in the cells of the fetus.
- Fiber has also become a component to take into account for those who have stomach problems. And it can help considerably to “clean” all the intestinal cavities and therefore will make us go to the bathroom more often. This is something that will be appreciated if we suffer from diarrhea or constipation.
90% of the composition of kiwi is water
Kiwi is made almost 90% of water. Therefore, it is one of the most diuretic fruits that exist. This means that it can help us lose weight because its caloric index is very low (just 65Kcal per 100 grams). To all this we must add the following benefits:
- Clean all of our arteries. Thanks to the water and Omega 3 acids, kiwifruit makes our blood go to a more “liquid” state, causing it to be transported through all our veins and arteries.
- Combat some cardiovascular diseases. Such as thrombosis, heart attacks or strokes. It also strengthens all of our bones and makes our muscles and organs grow properly.
Kiwi properties, in summary
The kiwi is one of those fruits that always very tempting when you eat breakfast, mid – morning, or as dessert after lunch or dinner, especially the properties and benefits of the kiwi.
The kiwi has an interesting contribution of both vitamins and mineral salts; that is why it positively influences the proper functioning of the nervous and circulatory systems.
In addition, this contribution of vitamins helps in turn in the formation of both bones and teeth, and in the different elaborations of proteins (thanks to an enzyme, activing).
Regarding the metabolism of carbohydrates, it helps in their regulation, acting as a good general restorative, toner of the brain, and prevents the appearance of anemia.
On this specific occasion we are going to stop at its vitamin C content, since it is so high that it intervenes very actively in the defense against infectious diseases, such as the flu and colds.
Because of this, it is interesting –and recommended– its consumption not only in sick people or those with low defenses, but also in children and the elderly.
It can be eaten during weight loss diets, since in addition to containing very few calories, as we will see at the end of this post, its richness in fiber helps to improve intestinal transit.
Thanks to the fact that it has an acid called proteolytic, in addition to improving circulation, it helps fight high cholesterol.
Nutritional values of kiwis
About 100 grams of kiwi provide…
- Energy: 55 calories.
- Fat: 0.5 grams.
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams.
- Proteins: 1 gram.
- 37 milligrams of calcium.
- 200 milligrams of vitamin C.
- 0.9 milligrams of iron.
- 1.10 milligrams of dietary fiber.