Irritable bowel or colon has bouts of diarrhea alternating with constipation. When you have the first problem, the most useful thing is to discover some natural tips to help alleviate it.
The intestines are the tubular visceral part of our digestive system. These tend to extend from the stomach to the anus, and we find them in the abdominal cavity. As you surely know, the intestines are divided into: the small intestine (the longest, and can reach 8 meters in length), and the large intestine (somewhat smaller and thicker, it can reach between 1 to 1.5 meters). ).
Did you know that they are fundamental organs, not only for the process of eliminating waste from our body, but also because they extract the different nutrients from all those foods that we eat every day from our diet?
Irritable bowel (also known as irritable bowel syndrome, or simply irritable bowel), is a disorder that causes changes in the intestine and abdominal pain. It is a chronic and recurring condition, which is definitively diagnosed when the doctor is unable to identify any other cause. This requires that your symptoms be felt for at least 12 weeks over a year.
With regard to its most common symptoms, we can mention: abdominal swelling, gas, cramps, the need to go to the bathroom after eating or getting out of bed, having the feeling of not having finished the complete evacuation, abdominal cramps, and periods of diarrhea alternating with periods of constipation.
Therefore, we can say that in most cases we find ourselves with an irritable bowel with periods of diarrhea, which tends to alternate with periods of irritable bowel with constipation.
Natural tips for irritable bowel with diarrhea
Follow a soft astringent diet
The soft astringent diet is characterized by being a type of food suitable for delicate stomachs, which does not overload our digestive system when it is in periods of diarrhea, while it recovers. The following foods stand out:
- White Rice with Cooked Carrots – White rice is great for stopping and controlling diarrhea as well as being helpful in relieving flatulence. Combined with cooked carrots, it is an ideal dish, since carrots contain beta-carotene, which helps to care for and protect the intestinal mucosa.
- Skimmed yogurt: it is a natural product rich in probiotics, which help in the regeneration process of the intestinal flora.
- Apples: the baked apple stands out, as it is a food very rich in fiber.
- Vegetable drinks or milks: vegetable milks are an ideal option not only when there is diarrhea, but as an alternative to cow’s milk, not so recommended in case of irritable bowel due to its high lactose content.
- Increase water consumption: whether constipation or diarrhea predominates. Remember that the most advisable thing is always to try to drink between 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day.
Avoid certain foods
When irritable bowel occurs with diarrhea, it is not only essential to follow a bland diet based on the consumption of certain foods, it is also very important to know which foods may not be as recommended. They are the following:
- Foods with a high content of insoluble fiber: wheat bran and dried fruits stand out. Containing insoluble fiber, they can stimulate the intestines a lot, and cause even more diarrhea.
- Milk and dairy products: irritate the walls of the intestinal tract due to their lactose content. They highlight milk of animal origin, cheeses, whole yogurts and butter.
- Other foods and drinks: soups, chocolate, highly seasoned foods and alcoholic beverages.
Practice physical exercise regularly
Believe it or not, practicing physical exercise on a regular basis is useful not only when it comes to enjoying good health, but also when it comes to taking care of your intestines, especially when there is an irritable bowel. How? Very simple: by practicing exercise you help bowel movements to be much more fluid, so that you will avoid irritation in your colon.
You can choose to run or walk, preferably every day for at least 30 minutes.
Rice water natural remedy
The one known as rice water is one of the most traditional natural remedies that exist, especially in the treatment and relief of diarrhea, being very useful on this occasion.
To prepare it you need half a cup of white rice and 4 glasses of water. In a saucepan add the 4 glasses of water, and bring to a boil. When the water begins to boil add the half cup of rice. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Then turn off the heat, strain and reserve the water that has remained from cooking to drink it.
You can drink 2 to 3 cups of rice water a day, until the diarrhea is stopped or relieved.