Do you want to prepare your Nutella at home but you want it to be healthier? Discover how to make a homemade hazelnut and chocolate cream with this recipe, with natural ingredients.
If we were to ask you about a well-known and popular hazelnut and chocolate cream that becomes a handy option to spread on bread, at breakfast and at snacks for children (and also for those who are not so young), it is quite likely that Nutella is the first thing that comes to mind. This differs from Nocilla (its main competition), in that the former is made with chocolate and hazelnuts, while the latter is not.
However, as most nutritionists warn, it is not a product that should be given regularly to children, as many moms and dads do at breakfast or at snack every day. In short, neither for children nor for adults.
Why? Mainly because almost half of the product is sugar. In fact, we only have to take a look at its nutritional label to realize that a container of just 400 grams of Nutella contains about 227 grams of sugar. Or, what is the same, about 45 teaspoons of sugar.
But Nutella doesn’t just have sugar, it also has fat. In its preparation, butter or palm oil is added, which although it is not a trans fat, it is a saturated fat, favoring the accumulation of cholesterol and triglycerides in our arteries and therefore favoring the risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases (it becomes fact in the biggest enemy for childhood obesity). And a clear example is found in its content: fat accounts for a third of the container, there is nothing.
On the other hand, in reality the proportion of cocoa, hazelnuts and milk is tremendously much lower if we compare it with the very large amount of sugars and saturated fats that we find in its composition.
Therefore, the conclusion is obvious: stop eating this type of cocoa cream and opt for other healthier options, such as the one we propose below. Do you dare to make your own hazelnut and chocolate cream, using only one hundred percent natural ingredients?
How to make hazelnut and chocolate cream?
The recipe that we propose on this occasion becomes a much healthier alternative to traditional Nutella, since we change palm oil for coconut oil (with a high content of unsaturated fats), cow’s milk for oat milk (or any other plant-based drink), and we substitute refined or white sugar for whole brown cane sugar.
It is an ideal option for breakfast or snack, and it is much more suitable for children. You can even cheer them up and make their own hazelnut cocoa cream with you at home.
While its preparation is very simple, depending on the grinding time of the toasted hazelnuts, you will get a better result. In this way, if, for example, the grinding time is adequate, you will obtain a cream with a much smoother texture, and you will not find small pieces.
- 100 grams toasted hazelnuts
- 40 grams of cocoa powder or 50 gr. chocolate with a minimum of 70% cocoa
- 45 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams coconut oil (you can substitute unrefined sunflower oil)
- 100ml vegetable oatmeal drink
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the toasted hazelnuts in the container of your food processor or in the blender glass, and crush or grind them well until the pieces have turned into powder.
- Meanwhile, if the coconut oil is solid, we must heat it a little, so that it becomes liquid.
- Add the melted coconut oil and stir in the brown sugar, cocoa powder, oat milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat everything again until all the ingredients have been integrated, and you obtain a uniform cream with the desired texture.
- Put the cream in a glass jar and let it rest in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until the texture is consistent. Ready! Enjoy.