Yogurt recipe with soy milk: discover the ingredients and steps to make a wonderful vegan yogurt, made with a vegetable soy drink.
Within the different alternatives to cow’s milk, either because you suffer from lactose intolerance that prevents the consumption of dairy products with lactose (milk sugar), or because we simply do not want to continue consuming it or because we do not want eating more foods of animal origin, there is no doubt that plant-based milks become an excellent option.
They are beverages of vegetable origin, which are obtained from seeds, cereals and dried fruits. Among the most consumed beverages, we can highlight soy milk, almond milk and rice milk.
On the one hand, it is true that they can be eaten alone, accompanied by other foods, but did you know that they can also be used to make desserts, in the same way that we use milk of animal origin?
With the soy milk we are going to make a delicious vegan yogurt, whose consistency and texture is in fact very reminiscent of common yogurt, but it has a clear difference: it has not been made with milk of animal origin. It becomes an ideal option for lactose intolerant, vegans and for those who do not want to eat more products of animal origin. Do you dare to learn how to do it with us?
Ingredients for vegan yogurt
- 1 liter soy milk
- 150ml plain soy yogurt (or yogurt culture)
- 1 teaspoon of whole cane sugar (or panela, or cane syrup)
Steps to make vegan yogurt
- Put the liter of soy milk in the saucepan and heat it until it is lukewarm (it is not recommended that it exceeds 45ºC).
- When it reaches this temperature add a little soy milk to the yogurt culture, and mix well.
- Now add the rest of the warm soy milk, the whole cane sugar or the honey, and beat well with the help of a whisk.
- Then pour into the containers of the yogurt maker, which should keep the yogurt at the right temperature.
- Let stand between 10 to 12 hours in a warm place (so it will not lose heat). A useful option, for example, is to preheat the oven to 50ºC but turn it off, and put the container or containers there.
- Once the yogurt has curdled, store it in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours before consumption.
What if I don’t have a yogurt maker?
As you surely know, the yogurt maker is a device that holds 6 yogurt-sized cups inside, which maintains a constant heat while the yogurt curdles and is made.
If you don’t have a yogurt maker and you want to make yogurt with soy milk, there is no problem: you just have to pour the yogurt preparation into the chosen individual containers, wrap them in a cloth (it can be a towel) and finally put it in a bag isothermal
You can also distribute the yogurt directly into individual containers, cover them and put them in the oven off but with some heat for at least 8 hours.