The apple crumble (or Apple Crumble) is a typical English dessert that is made by crumbling flour, sugar and butter on top of apple pieces with cinnamon. Find out how to make it with this easy and simple recipe.
Throughout the world we can find a wide variety of characteristic, typical and traditional desserts from precisely the country or place where we find ourselves. In Spain, for example, it happens with the popular torrijas or the traditional rice pudding, both well-known desserts consumed on a very regular basis. And in England the same thing happens with the crumble.
The story goes that once the Second World War was over, and especially as a result of the food rationing that existed in this country after the war, a kind of fruit dessert was made from the food that was left over at that time.
This is how this popular fruit cake was born, whose name in its translation would precisely mean something like “crumbling”. And it is that, in its preparation, it is prepared by crumbling the flour with the butter and sugar to later give it its particular and characteristic appearance, and its delicious crunchy texture.
It is common to make it by choosing fruits that are slightly acidic, which makes them combine perfectly with the crumbled part of the sweet dough with sugar. On the other hand, there are those who choose to replace this mixture of flour, sugar and butter with crushed cookies.
Apple crumble recipe
This time we are going to learn how to make a typical apple crumble as it was done in the old way: crumbling the flour with the butter and sugar. You will see that its preparation is extremely simple. It will take you about 15 minutes to prepare, and about 30 minutes more to finish.
Ingredients for the crisp:
- 250 grams of wheat flour
- 170 grams of sugar
- 70 grams of butter
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 5 apples
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Ground cinnamon
Apple crumble preparation:
- First we are going to preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- Meanwhile, wash the apples well, peel them and cut them into small cubes (approximately 1 centimeter).
- Grease a rectangular sized mold with a little butter.
- Place the apples in this mold in a layer that is as even as possible.
- Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of sugar and add ground cinnamon to taste on top. It is important that you do not stir the apples.
- Now we are going to prepare the dough. Cut the butter into small pieces. In a large bowl place the flour, sugar and butter cut. Mix with your hands forming crumbs. Once ready reserve in the refrigerator for 15 or 20 minutes.
- After this time, pour the crumbs over the apples.
- Take to the oven and bake at 160ºC for approximately 25 to 30 minutes (which will depend on your oven).
- Ready! You can serve it cold or warm according to your taste.
On the other hand, if you wish, instead of cooking it in a large rectangular pan, you can choose to do it in individual small glasses.
How to enjoy the apple crumble:
The apple crumble can be eaten alone, cold or warm, although the most traditional option is to eat it warm accompanied by vanilla ice cream. On the other hand, in England it is common to eat it hot accompanied by compotes, custard or cream.
Be that as it may, accompany or not, it is a slightly crunchy dessert with a delicious flavor.