With a strong flavor (due to the coffee and cocoa) and a spongy texture (due to the soaked sponge cake), tiramisu is a real delight for the most demanding palates.
Do you want to learn how to make tiramisu? There is a wide variety of recipes, many of them innovative and certainly delicious. But if we want to look for the authentic Italian tiramisu recipe, the truth is that there is only one: the original or traditional; in short, the one that has been made in Italy since its origin a few decades ago.
In fact, when preparing a good tiramisu, we must bear in mind something fundamental: the secret lies at its base; that is to say, in the fundamental ingredients with which its wonderful cream is prepared, made with an exquisite mixture of eggs, sugar and mascarpone cheese.
It consists of a cold dessert with a spoon, which is served mounted in layers. It basically consists of a solid ingredient (usually a sponge cake) moistened in coffee. Then, on this layer, a delicious cream made with eggs, sugar and mascarpone is superimposed. To finish, it is sprinkled with cocoa powder.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 400 g of mascarpone cheese
- 100g sugar
- 200 g of savoidardi type cakes
- 2 cups of very strong coffee (without sugar)
- 2 tablespoons sweet Marsala wine
- Cocoa powder
- First of all, we must start by preparing a coffee pot with our favorite coffee. However, it is recommended that the coffee is very strong, so that the cakes acquire their entire flavor. Then, once made, let it cool.
- While the coffee cools, once it is made, we separate the whites from the yolks and mount two whites until stiff. How to get them to ride better? It is appropriate that the bowl where we are going to mount them is made of glass, is cold (for example, we can leave it in the fridge for a while), and add a pinch of salt. Once assembled, we reserve them.
- In another large bowl we put the egg yolks with the sugar and beat everything very well until they acquire a foamy consistency. Now add the mascarpone cheese, little by little and slowly, while continuing to beat a little. Then add the whites, whipped to the point of snow and, with enveloping and soft movements, mix well with the help of a spatula.
- Once the coffee is cold, put it in a deep plate and add the 2 tablespoons of Marsala wine. Mix well.
- Using a rectangular mold, it is time to assemble the tiramisu. To do this, put a first layer of biscuits soaked in the mixture of coffee and sweet wine. Then cover with a layer of our delicious mascarpone cream, and sprinkle a little cocoa powder on top.
- Repeat the operation again: add a new layer of biscuits soaked in the coffee and wine mixture, another layer of mascarpone cream and a new layer of cocoa powder. So until we finish with our cakes and with the cream. Of course, to finish, sprinkle with a little more cocoa powder.
- Reserve in the fridge for a minimum of 3-4 hours. In this way, you will get the tiramisu to acquire consistency and body.
Some questions to keep in mind about our tiramisu
- We recommend using Savoyard type cakes, which have a rather hard touch when pressed. In this way, we will prevent the tiramisu from becoming an uncomfortable sponge cake.
- If you don’t like cocoa that much, or you think the recipe takes a lot, you can choose to sprinkle with cocoa only in the last layer (in the top layer).
- When using cocoa powder, it is recommended to use it without sugar.
- We must keep it in the fridge as long as it is not going to be consumed.
- It is recommended to consume it within a maximum period of 2 days.