If there is a nutritious and tasty dessert, tremendously easy to prepare and that the little ones in the house also like, there is no doubt that gelatin is one of the most popular, due to its versatility and neutral flavor, which allows it to be prepared with juices and pieces of fruit that help add flavor.
Its nutritional richness is found in its high protein content, thanks to the fact that collagen protein is used for its preparation, the most important scleroprotein in our body and that comprises a protein chain of around 1050 amino acids.
Gelatin, precisely, is obtained from cooking the connective tissues of certain animals, such as bones, cartilage, minerals and collagen. Which causes it to be a dessert avoided by vegans and vegetarians? In this sense, it is possible to choose to prepare vegetable gelatin, made with agar.
This time we are going to learn how to make a delicious jelly, easily and simply. Although it is a basic recipe, the truth is that you can actually substitute fruit juice for whatever you like:
Ingredients you need:
- 3 gelatin sheets + Water
- 1 glass of fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
Making the jelly at home:
- Put water in a container, add the gelatin sheets until they are covered, being careful not to break them, and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- While the gelatin leaves are softening, put the fruit juice you have chosen in a saucepan, add the sugar and put it to heat on the fire. When it starts to boil, remove from the heat and reserve.
- Once the gelatin has softened, drain it carefully and add it to the saucepan.
- Now stir with the help of a wooden spoon so that the gelatin sheets dissolve.
- Divide the mixture into two glasses and let them cool. Then, once cool, put the glasses in the fridge to gel.
And how to make jelly with whole pieces of fruit?
If what you want is to enjoy a jelly made with whole pieces of fruit, instead of with fruit juice, then we explain the steps to make it easily at home. On this occasion we use apricots for its preparation:
- 350g apricots, halved (pitted)
- 3 dl of water + 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 orange rind, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of powdered gelatin
- 1/2 glass of orange juice
- 50g sugar
- 1 egg white
Preparation of gelatin with whole fruit pieces:
- Rinse the gelatin mold under cold water and put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to keep it cool.
- Put the apricots in a saucepan with the 3 dl of water and the finely chopped orange. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then let it cool slightly.
- While the apricots are cooking, sprinkle the gelatin in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons of water, inside a refractory bowl. Let it soak for 5 minutes, and then, when the gelatin has become fluffy, place the bowl in the water bath for 2 minutes, until the gelatin has completely dissolved. It is necessary to stir from time to time. Then take out of the bowl and reserve.
- Pass the apricots, orange rind, and liquid through the blender. But reserve a few pieces of apricot, to chop them a little more. Pour the puree into a rather large bowl.
- Add the gelatin to the puree and mix everything well. Then add the apricot pieces that you have reserved and mix again.
- Add the orange juice and let it cool while stirring continuously. Then cover and leave in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Beat the egg white until stiff, adding the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. This will add a delicious creamy touch to the gelatin. Add to the apricot mixture. Pour it all into the mold to make the gelatin, cover and leave in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or until it has set well.
- Ready! You can now enjoy your delicious fruit jelly.