Do you want to prepare a truly autumnal cake? Discover how to make a delicious pumpkin and chestnut cake, ideal to enjoy the best flavor of autumn and very easy to make.
If you like chestnuts and pumpkin, in this post we provide how to prepare an exquisite cake with which you will surprise your guests. This cake is a tradition in our family because we have been making it for a few autumns.
As soon as autumn arrives and with it its exquisite fruits, we start the task of going to the field in search of chestnuts.
Then with a good pumpkin that is also in its best season and a few more ingredients we are ready to prepare this delicious cake that, like us, you will surely make a little room for in your favorite recipes. Do you dare to prepare it?
If so, I hope you like it. As you can see, the recipe seems extensive but it is not complicated at all, little by little we are explaining the steps to follow.
To prepare the cake, we must previously prepare the chestnuts in syrup and then make a puree with them, which we will need to prepare the cake. We will also make a puree with the pumpkin and the rest of the ingredients.
Chestnut and pumpkin tart recipe
Ingredients for chestnuts in syrup:
- 500 grams of chestnuts
- 375 grams of water
- 375 grams of sugar
- a vanilla bean
Preparation of chestnuts in syrup:
- We are making a cut to each of the chestnuts in the shell.
- Put the chestnuts and water to cover them in a bowl or other microwave-safe container.
- Put the bowl with the chestnuts in the microwave and activate it with maximum power for about 15 minutes.
- Taking care not to burn ourselves, we remove the bowl from the microwave and keep the chestnuts in the hot water while we remove the shell and skin.
- If we notice that the water is getting colder, we can give it a little more heat in the microwave to finish peeling all the chestnuts.
- We weigh all the chestnuts that we already have peeled and depending on the weight that results, we will need the same amount of sugar.
- Put the chestnuts and half the sugar in a pot and add enough water to cover them.
- We cook with moderate heat and when it starts to boil we continue cooking the syrup for about 15 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the sugar, the pulp of the vanilla pod, stir and continue cooking over low heat for another 30 minutes.
- We turn off the heat and make a puree with the chestnuts, a little of the syrup, a splash of cream and stir to mix well and achieve the consistency of a more or less thick cream.
- We reserve the chestnut puree for the cake, since the chestnut puree will be the base of the cake.
Ingredients for the cake dough:
- 150 grams. plain wheat flour
- 75 grams of softened butter
- the yolk of an egg
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
Preparation of the cake dough:
- We place the flour on the kitchen counter or marble, in the form of a mountain.
- We make a hole in the center of the mountain and inside we put the egg yolk, the butter and two tablespoons of cold water.
- We work the dough so that it binds well and comes off the counter.
- When we notice that it is already well linked, we form a ball with the dough.
- Cover the ball with a cloth or plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Once the 30 minutes have been reached, with the help of a roller, we extend the dough.
- Put parchment paper on the bottom of the mold so that the cake does not stick to the bottom when you unmold it.
- We place the well-spread dough in a circular and removable mold of about 22 or 25 cm. diameters.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C for 15 minutes.
- Once preheated, put the mold in the oven to cook the dough for 3 minutes.
- Taking care not to burn ourselves, remove the dough from the oven.
- On top of the dough we put the chestnut puree that we had previously reserved and spread it well and reserve to prepare the pumpkin.
Ingredients for the cake:
- a kilo of pumpkin
- A small can of condensed milk
- 250 grams of sugar
- 50 grams of ointment butter
- 50 grams of pine nuts
- 3 eggs
- A little grated ginger
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- A pinch of salt
Preparation of the cake:
- Cut the pumpkin into quarters, remove the skin, wash it well, chop it and put it in a cauldron with enough water to cover it to cook it.
- Add the pinch of salt and butter to the water.
- Cut the pumpkin into quarters, remove the skin, wash it well, chop it and put it in a cauldron with enough water to cover it to cook it. Add the pinch of salt and butter to the water.
- With moderate heat we are cooking the pumpkin until it is tender. When we notice that it is already tender, add the sugar and the beaten eggs.
- Remove from the heat and with the help of the blender we crush it until making a puree. Add the condensed milk, pine nuts, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nut meg to the pumpkin puree and stir everything together to mix all the ingredients well. Let’s pour the mixture that we have made with the pumpkin over the chestnut purée that we had reserved together with the cake dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC for 15 minutes. Put the cake in the oven and cook it at 180ºC for one hour.
- Once the time has elapsed, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once it is cold we can remove it from the mold.
- Ready to taste it as you like accompanied by a cup of chocolate, a coffee, an infusion.
Enjoy your meal!