Dry skin care tips. Discover how to care for dry or parched skin by maintaining proper moisture and good hydration.
Did you know that there are different types of skin, whose care ultimately depends on its basic characteristics? We can find ourselves with normal skin, with dry skin, with oily skin or with combination skin. The reality is that they can all be easily distinguished, since each of them has certain symptoms and problems.
In the case of dry skin, it is a type of skin that lacks moisture. It is situated a little beyond what many specialists consider normal skin, since it produces less fat or sebum than normal skin. This translates into something very simple: it does not have the necessary fat or lipids to retain moisture effectively. The result is more than evident: not being able to form a protective ‘shield’ against different external influences, it tends to dry out more easily.
What is dry skin like?
The skin is dry when it presents an excess of dryness in the most visible areas of the face. In fact, its consequences are not only visible on the face, but also in the hair.
As far as the skin itself is concerned, it shows cracks, irritation and scaling. It has a rough appearance with a tendency to the appearance of spots, itching, a feeling of tightness that can become very annoying and slight peeling.
Among its most common causes we find different factors:
- Aging: this is one of the main causes.
- Heredity: genetics influences the appearance of dry skin.
- Food: follow a diet poor in foods rich in vitamin A, C and B7, in addition to minerals such as zinc.
- Certain diseases: especially acne, psoriasis, eczema and hypothyroidism.
Dry skin care tips
- How to clean it more properly: it is essential to use products with moisturizing action, which are soft and respectful of your skin type. For example, the moisturizing cleansing milks stand out, which help to avoid the feeling of tightness. Once you have cleaned the skin, it is convenient to rinse it with a little warm water, to finally apply an astringent toner that does not have alcohol (because otherwise it will tend to dry out the skin more).
- How to hydrate it effectively: since dry skin tends to produce less oil or sebum, it is important to use a cream with a moisturizing action, which helps maintain the natural moisture of our skin.
- Opt for natural masks: facial masks made with natural ingredients are interesting in the care of dry skin. In this sense, the most ideal masks are those made with honey, yogurt and olive oil. It is advisable to apply them to the skin of the face at least once a week. In the next section we explain how to make the most useful ones.
Face masks for dry skin
- Yogurt and honey mask: you need 4 tablespoons of natural yogurt without sugar, 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and 2 tablespoons of honey. To prepare it, mix all the ingredients in a bowl, stir well with the help of a wooden spoon until a kind of cream is formed. Apply it on the face, leaving it to act for 15 minutes. Finally remove it by washing your skin with warm water.
- Egg and avocado face mask: you need 1 egg yolk, 1 avocado and 1 tablespoon of wheat germ. Peel the avocado, remove its seed, cut it into pieces and mash well with the help of a fork. Add the wheat germ and egg yolk, and mix well. Spread the cream with the help of your fingers making circular movements, and leave it to act for 15 minutes. Then remove with plenty of warm water.
Other habits that will help you
- Follow a healthy and balanced diet: since an unbalanced diet can influence the appearance of dry skin, it is very important to take care of your diet and base it on natural fresh foods. Particularly noteworthy are foods rich in vitamins such as vitamin A, C and biotin or B7, as well as minerals such as zinc.
- Hydrate yourself correctly: regular consumption of water is essential to maintain good skin health. It is advisable to drink a sufficient amount of water, which will significantly improve the appearance of dry skin. Opt for 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day (about 8 glasses a day).