You probably know Adam Richman from the Carnivore Chronicles program. If you’ve ever wondered what the health consequences of eating like him are, don’t miss this article.
Surely you have already found him on television, doing some zapping or knowing some of his videos through the Internet. His name is Adam Richman, and from December 3, 2008 to 2012 he was the host of Crónicas Carnívoras, a program where in each episode the actor visited a city in the United States to publicize its most representative restaurants and gastronomy, to end up facing an eating contest.
In these contests the presenter is faced with very large amounts of food, very spicy foods or very large food intakes in a short period of time. They are remnants that are presented on the show as a “battle between man and food,” and in his four seasons Richman has won 48 challenges, for 38 food victories. However, in January 2012 he announced that he would not participate in any more food contests, so that the last episode was broadcast on April 11, 2012.
But although the presenter was preparing before the celebration of each food contest (which is not indicated in the program but which we will discover later), no matter how much he took care of himself before and after each episode, there is no doubt something very important: The health consequences that have to eat quickly, quickly, and especially eating large amounts of food in excess.
Health consequences of eating fast
One of the guidelines of every food contest, in most programs, is to try to eat quickly, in a short period of time. Its consequences are quite clear:
- Digestion disorders: such as heavy digestions and stomach aches, since food is not chewed properly and slowly.
- Digestive stress: since you eat very quickly, the different digestive functions tend to become stressed, so that they wear out little by little.
- Malabsorption: when you eat fast, you also eat with stress or anxiety, so that the nutrients that we find in the composition of the food are not absorbed properly. Although Richman eats very well (something that does not occur in most programs, where junk food is one of the main protagonists, such as hamburgers, battered meats, fried …), the nutrients become toxins.
- More fatigue: since the lack of grinding of food makes the body work harder, expending more energy.
Health consequences of overeating
Another characteristic of each food contest is eating an incredible amount of food, which causes that on most occasions when Richman is in the middle or at the end of the contest he looks tired, sweaty and fed up.
The reason is very clear: he has eaten excessively, that is, more than his stomach would fit, and more than his stomach could ultimately be able to digest. Its consequences are:
- Overweight and obesity: by eating excessively, a greater number of calories are consumed, especially more than those that our body burns throughout the day. Therefore, you gain weight.
- Risk of cardiovascular diseases: both cholesterol and blood pressure rise, in many cases to very dangerous limits. Also, increased risk of heart disease and other heart problems.
- Type 2 diabetes: especially related to excessive food consumption and weight gain. Increases risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Gastrointestinal problems : poor digestion, heavy digestion, stomach aches and pains.
- Fatty liver: caused by excess calories, since our liver is not able to metabolize fats so fast, so they tend to accumulate them.
- Other problems: such as joint problems and lack of sleep.
What did Adam Richman do before and after each show?
Although it is not counted in the program, it is known that before each challenge Adam Richman tried to eat as little as possible and drink large amounts of mineral water.
On the other hand, he also practiced physical exercise twice a day.