What are foods high in phytoestrogens? Discover the best foods with phytoestrogens, ideal for menopause and to obtain them.
The phytoestrogens are a number of chemicals that will be found in all kinds of plant foods. It should be noted that this element acts in a similar way to estrogens, which as many of you will know is a hormone that has a most relevant role in female reproduction and in the development of her sexual attributes.
It should be mentioned that this type of hormone is produced mainly in the ovaries and the placenta when the mother is in an advanced stage of pregnancy. Estrogens are also closely related to the metabolism of fats and the regulation of cholesterol levels in the blood.
Likewise, women can enjoy a more proportionate and stylized silhouette thanks to its high estrogen content that ultimately distribute all of their body fat. They also have a very important role in the formation of collagen so that they can enjoy soft, smooth and even skin.
In this sense, it is not necessary to place more emphasis on saying that estrogens are an essential hormone within the woman’s body and for her to enjoy a good quality of life.
In the case of women, in fact, phytoestrogens act in a similar way to estrogens, a hormone that is reduced in menopause, thus becoming responsible for the typical symptoms of climacteric.
In the case of men, phytoestrogens help prevent colon, prostate and heart disease, so that the consumption of foods rich in these estrogens of plant origin are ideal after 45 years of age.
Foods high in phytoestrogens
Do you want to know which are the foods that have a higher content of phytoestrogens? Next we are going to relate in great detail what foods are rich in this component so important for our health:
- Those oatmeal, barley, rice, whole wheat or couscous cereals are very rich in phytoestrogens.
- Sesame, pumpkin, poppy, sunflower or flax seeds can be mixed to consume a good amount of this element.
- The truth is that some vegetables can also be an inexhaustible source of phytoestrogens. Among all of them, it should be noted, green beans, onions, sage, garlic, broccoli, red tomatoes, celery and bean sprouts.
And, particularly, the following list of foods stand out above all:
- Alfalfa: alfalfa sprouts have a high content of phytoestrogens, and are also delicious in salads, or eaten alone with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Spinach: it is a vegetable that is especially rich in isoflavones. It also has a high iron content, helping to prevent anemia.
- Flaxseeds: they are rich in phytoestrogens, and healthy fatty acids.
- Soy: soybeans or soybeans are one of the best-known foods high in isoflavones. Both soy and its derivatives stand out (especially tofu and soy milk).
What are the benefits of phytoestrogens?
For this reason, it seems very relevant to increase the levels of this hormone through phytoestrogens in order to benefit from all its advantages that they provide for our health. Would you like to know some of them? Well, we will tell you about it below.
They strengthen the heart
Phytoestrogens have been shown to have a high amount of lipoproteins, two compounds that favor the production of what is known as HDL cholesterol and therefore it is most beneficial to eliminate blockages in the veins and arteries of our body than if not are treated, it is possible that they may later lead to cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension and heart attack. Likewise, this hormone also promotes blood circulation.
They are beneficial for the brain and menopausal women
On the other hand, it should also be noted that estrogens have a most positive effect on the proper functioning of the brain. It also regulates the mood making us feel calmer. It also protects all those women who are in a menopausal state after a certain age.
May prevent colon and prostate cancer
Finally, we will also mention that the phytoestrogens present in some foods must also be taken into account in those people who suffer from colon cancer since it reduces the appearance of cancer cells. Likewise, it is also the most beneficial for treating prostate cancer that men over 45 years of age suffer so much.
In short, if we eat a diet with enough phytoestrogens to which we accompany a daily exercise while at the same time reducing the consumption of alcohol and tobacco, you can be sure that our health will thank us in the long run.