Do you know the main negative effects of white sugar (or refined sugar) on your health? It is a widely consumed product, but nevertheless not so positive in our diet.
The white sugar (also known by the name of refined sugar) becomes one of the most common sweetener options when providing a sweet foods, desserts or drinks flavor. In fact, it is common for it to be used every time we have a tea, infusion or coffee with milk.
But the truth is that if we look at the different consequences of sugar abuse, we must bear in mind that it is not recommended for our health to take a lot of sugar a day.
In the case of white sugar, this recommendation should be even more demanding, mainly because, as it consists of a refined food, it only provides empty calories, which means that it does not provide any essential nutrient to our body, but it does provide calories.
Negative effects of white sugar on our health
An excessive consumption of white sugar can be negative for our health from a nutritional and dietary point of view, since for its correct assimilation it needs to use vitamins of group B and calcium; This, as is evident, leads to a deficiency in both nutrients, which can cause chronic fatigue.
It is an acidifying food, so that our body turns to alkaline bases (such as calcium) to be able to neutralize it. And where does it get it from? From calcium reserves, especially in the bones.
Nor can we forget about its caloric content. And it is that if we take into account that we are faced with a product that is especially rich in empty calories, it only provides calories and no other essential nutrient for our body.
Consequences of following a diet rich in white sugar
- It can produce nutritional deficiencies of B vitamins, and minerals such as calcium.
- Risk of overweight and obesity.
- It favors the increase of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Alters the intestinal flora.
- It can cause glycemic imbalance.
- It can impair growth in childhood by causing decalcification.
- Together with a diet low in fiber, it can increase the risk of cancer, as well as other disorders and diseases: Crohn’s disease, gallstones and diabetes.
- It can cause behavioral disturbances, such as hyperactivity.