The soup cod and coriander, “alentejana à açorda” is a traditional soup of the Portuguese region of Alentejo. It is a soup that is made with bread from the day before or stale bread, cod, coriander and poached eggs.
The cod in the salty version is one of the star fish to produce different menus in times of Lent and Easter. Although it is true that it can be enjoyed practically all year round.
It is a fish that is consumed a lot throughout the year, although it is at this time when it is most in demand.
Before preparing this recipe, we must soak the cod in water at least 2 or 3 days before to desalt it, making the water changes every 8 hours and always keeping it between one change and another in the fridge, until it is time to cook it.
Cod and coriander soup recipe
- 800 grams of desalted cod with skin and bones.
- 2 liters of water to cook the cod.
- About 300 grams of bread from the day before or stale bread.
- 2 cloves of garlic without skin and chopped.
- A bunch of minced coriander.
- 4 eggs.
- 100 ml. of extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt (optional).
- We put the water to heat on the fire and when it boils we put the cod inside, blanch it for about 30 seconds. We turn off the heat and keep the cod in the water for about 45 minutes.
- We wash the bunch of coriander and chop it finely. Next we put the chopped coriander in a mortar and the two cloves of garlic. We mash well until it is pasty. To the mash we add the virgin olive oil, stir to mix well and reserve.
- We remove the cod from the water and remove the skin and bones, reserve the water to make a broth. We crumble into pieces (crumble) the cod and reserve it. We return the water to the fire together with the bones and the skin of the cod and cook for half an hour.
- While we are slicing the bread. In a bowl we put the coriander mash that we had reserved and add the sliced bread.
- We stir to mix the bread well with the coriander mash. Strain the cod broth and add the eggs to poach them, one minute will be enough.
- We carefully remove the poached eggs and reserve them on a plate. We will taste the broth in case it is necessary to add some salt.
- We pour the cod broth on the bread that we leave, taking in the flavor of the mash. We let it rest for about five minutes and stir. Next we add the cod in crumbs.
We will present the cod soup in bowls or individual deep plates with a poached egg and some olives on top.