Do you want to learn how to prepare delicious buckwheat or buckwheat crepes? Discover the step-by-step recipe with all the ingredients you need to make them at home.
The crepes not only can be made with wheat flour. In fact, they can be easily prepared with any type of flour. As is the case with the buckwheat crepes about whose recipe we want to talk to you on this occasion, a different but wonderful option that can serve as a base for sweet or savory dishes.
Also known by the name of buckwheat , buckwheat is a type of wheat that is actually a pseudo cereal, being commonly used like rice or quinoa when it is used in the form of grain as a garnish. Regarding its flour, it is usually used in bakery or confectionery, although its lack of gluten means that it is not so widely used in making bread, since it does not produce the “fluffiness” required in a wide variety of breads.
However, it is used in the preparation of pastry recipes, for example it could be the case of the crepes that we propose in this recipe. From a nutritional point of view, it is a type of flour that is especially rich in B vitamins, also providing magnesium, essential for energy.
- 3 cups buckwheat flour
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 450 ml whole milk
- 250 ml of water
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
How to make buckwheat crepes:
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and a pinch of salt to taste. Make a hole in the center and add half of the milk. It is very important that you mix it with the flour little by little, gradually. Form a thick, lump-free raisin. Then add the rest of the milk, mix again, and cover with plastic wrap. Reserve for 45 minutes, letting the dough rest.
- After this time, remove the transparent film and add 175 ml of water. Mix a little and then slowly add the rest of the water. The dough should acquire the consistency of a rather light cream. Add a pinch of ground cinnamon and mix again.
- Melt half of the butter and add it to the previous cream. Beat well until completely incorporated.
- Put a non-stick frying pan with a diameter of 22-23 centimeters on the heat. Put the rest of the butter, move the pan so that it covers the entire surface, and with the help of a ladle slightly full of dough, pour it in the center. Immediately lift the skillet and tilt it so that the batter moves to the sides, this will give you the thinnest possible batter.
- Cook the crepe until it is golden brown and holes appear on the surface. Then turn it carefully with the help of a spatula, and cook the other side until set.
- Do the same with the rest of the dough, until you are done with it.
How to eat buckwheat pancakes:
The truth is that as these crepes are tremendously versatile, the truth is that they can serve perfectly both for sweet and savory dishes. For example, if you want a sweet recipe you can add homemade fruit jam, agave syrup, natural yogurt with fruits or panela.
However, if you want a more salty option, did you know that ricotta cheese combines very well with this dough? You can, for example, fill the crepes with ricotta cheese, chopped basil, and finely chopped cherry tomatoes. You will love the result.