Do you want to learn how to make an exquisite blackberry jam, so that you can enjoy blackberries all year round? Discover these two delicious recipes, one with sugar and the other with agave syrup.
Although we are at the beginning of October, it is still possible to enjoy the delicious and exquisite blackberries, those wonderful edible fruits that, although they come from different plant species, all have some characteristics in common that they share almost perfectly. And is that despite the fact that the blackberry season is between the months of August and September, a very good option to enjoy them all year round is to make a simple blackberry jam at home
How? The truth is that its preparation is truly simple. It only takes about 20 minutes to prepare and 30 to 40 minutes to cook. The best? It gives us the possibility of being able to eat blackberries all year round, even when we are no longer in the blackberry season.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 1 kg of sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pectin or agar-agar powder
How to prepare blackberry jam:
It is recommended to use freshly picked blackberries, in this way we will ensure that they are fresh and in an optimal state of conservation.
- Wash the blackberries well under water and clean them. Then pass them through the food processor to mash them as much as possible. Booking.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze it to obtain its juice. Booking.
- In an ideal casserole for jams, place the blackberry puree and sugar. Add the teaspoon of lemon juice and the thickener. It is necessary and advisable to let it rest overnight, so cover it and reserve it.
- The next day, put the saucepan on the fire and bring to a boil. Then cook all the ingredients over the fire, stirring from time to time with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Check the consistency. If you want it a little thicker, you can leave it on the fire for a few more minutes.
- At the end of cooking foam (removing the foam that forms on the top with the help of a slotted spoon).
- Place in glass jars with tight-fitting lids. It is advisable to fill them almost to the brim, closing the lids with pressure and then putting them upside down. Reserve the jam until the jars are cold. Once cool, put a label on each jar with the packaging date. Then you can keep it perfectly in the refrigerator.
What to do if I want the jam to have a long shelf life?
If you want the jam to last longer in perfect condition, it is best to sterilize the glass jars in a water bath. To do this, you will only have to place them in a tall pot and well covered with boiling water, leaving them like that for 25 minutes. After this time, remove them from the pot when the water has cooled.
Blackberry jam recipe with agave syrup instead of sugar
If you want to make another different blackberry jam option, we propose below another recipe that you will surely love. This time we substitute agave syrup for sugar.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 250 g agave syrup
- 100 ml of water
- 1 level teaspoon pectin
- The juice of half a lemon
How to prepare blackberry jam with agave syrup:
- Clean the blackberries well and wash them.
- In a pot or pot for jams put the washed blackberries and lemon juice over low heat for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally with the help of a wooden spoon, to prevent the blackberries from sticking to the bottom.
- When the blackberries are tender, add the agave syrup and the thickener and turn to high heat to bring to a boil.
- With the help of a slotted spoon, gradually remove the foam that forms on the top. Cook for an additional 10-11 minutes.
- Once ready, place the jam while still hot in glass jars with hermetically sealed lids, almost to the edge, and close them with pressure. Then turn the jars or jars upside down.
- Put a label on the bottle with the packaging date.
- To preserve it, once cold you can reserve it in the refrigerator.