Tormentilla is a medicinal plant with wonderful benefits and properties. For example, it is useful against hemorrhoids and also to treat diarrhea.
The tormentila is a medicinal plant that belongs to the family Rosaceae and its scientific name is Potentilla erecta. It is used for both internal and external use preparations. On the other hand, the part of the storm that is used is the rhizome.
The active principles that we find in this plant are glycosides and a red coloring substance. In addition, it has astringent and vulnerable qualities. In fact, among its most important properties we find astringent qualities, which makes it an effective remedy to treat cases of diarrhea, helping to reduce them especially when diarrhea is nervous.
It is also useful for gargling, indicated for problems of pharyngitis, laryngitis, when the gums bleed, since tormentilla is ideal as an astringent remedy acting on the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat.
Other uses of this medicinal plant are preparations for external use, to soothe hemorrhoids, lotions or infusions of this plant are prepared to make sitz baths. It is also used in plasters, poultices and ointments to help heal wounds and superficial cuts.
The tormentila can be obtained in herbalists, parapharmacies, stores that dispense natural products, online. The formats in which we can get this medicinal plant are the following: in the form of a dry plant, only the dried rhizome, in fluid extract and also in capsules.
When using any of the formats in which Tormentila is presented, we must follow the advice of the therapeutic professional, follow their guidelines in terms of dose and duration of treatment or consult with the doctor.
Tormentila is rich in tannins and abuse in its internal consumption can irritate the gastric mucosa.
Discover how to prepare 3 home remedies with Tormentila
The home remedies that we provide below are for external use.
Tormentila infusion to gargle
This Tormentila infusion to gargle is effective in eliminating cases of halitosis or bad breath, also helping us to eliminate germs from the mouth that cause bad breath, bringing freshness to the mouth.
We will prepare the infusion by following these steps:
- A cup of water.
- One or two teaspoons of dried Tormentila rhizome.
- We put the water to heat and when it starts to boil we add the teaspoons of Tormentila.
- We remove the infusion from the heat, cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Strain the infusion and let it cool.
- Once it is cold, we can gargle.
- Gargle can be done 2 times a day, after brushing our teeth.
- Gargle of Tormentilla for the throat
- On this occasion the infusion that we will prepare is also for external use, with this infusion we will gargle that will come in handy to improve irritation or inflammation of the throat.
- To prepare this infusion we will follow the previous steps.
Sitz bath for hemorrhoids with Tormentila
Among the uses of La Tormentila is the benefit that this medicinal plant exerts due to its properties when it comes to improving the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids.
In this case, sitz baths with Tormentila will be prepared.
To prepare this sitz bath we need:
- A liter of water.
- 60 grams of dried Tormentila plant.
- We put water to heat with the dry Tormentila plant inside.
- Once it begins to boil, lower the heat and keep it boiling for 10 minutes.
- We turn off the heat, cover the mixture and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- We strain the preparation and let it cool.
- Once it is cold we can do the sitz bath.
- The sitz bath can be done 2 or 3 times a day until the symptoms improve.
Contraindications of Tormentila
Tormentila is contraindicated in the following cases:
- In case of pregnancy.
- During the lactation period.
- In children.
- People who are getting rid of alcohol consumption.