The kitchen is a place where bacteria and germs can proliferate freely. Therefore, following a series of habits and hygiene advice is essential.
The kitchen is one of the places or areas of the house where we find more bacteria and germs. Taking into account that this is the area where we cook and eat, it is clear that it is essential to know how to prevent these bacteria from roaming freely, thus maintaining basic hygiene habits.
For this reason, it is essential to maintain strict hygiene, especially when we are in contact with food, since otherwise they can be the origin of many diseases.
Basic tips and hygiene habits in the kitchen
Hygiene tips when cooking
- Wash your hands well: before and after handling any food, even if it is not going to peel or remove its skin.
- Objects: must be clean. When you go to store them they must be properly dry.
- Cutting board: they become one of the most practical and therefore used elements, but they can transmit many germs and bacteria. Avoid cross-contamination by using different cutting boards for meat and fish, and vegetables and fruit. Do the same with knives and other kitchen tools you use. Likewise, try to maintain a good disinfection with the help of hot water and vinegar.
Hygiene tips in the fridge or refrigerator
- Temperature: it is recommended that it always be between 2ºC and 4ºC, since below 4ºC most bacteria do not proliferate. Regarding the freezer, it should always be kept below -18ºC.
- Door: for the temperature to be effective and to be maintained, it is advisable not to open and close the refrigerator many times.
- Cooked food: it is a mistake to put hot food or dishes in the fridge, it is advisable to leave them at room temperature and when they are cold, put them in the fridge.
- Food in general: keep foods separate and without mixing them. Leftover food is best stored in a clean, shallow container. Food must be stored in the refrigerator at a suitable temperature. In this way we will be able to avoid the reproduction of germs.
- Be careful with meat and fish: everything depends on the moment of cooking. If, for example, you are going to cook them at the moment or throughout the day, they can be stored in the fridge, since they do not lose quality. If they are going to be cooked in a few days, it is best to freeze them.