American pancakes recipe: learn how to make traditional American pancakes, easily and simply with this original recipe. Ideal for breakfast or brunch.
I can’t deny it: I am passionate about pancakes. Of all shapes, sizes and thickness. Of course, they are soft and fluffy. And, probably, the traditional American pancakes -or pancakes- are my favorites, because they combine the smooth flavor of the dough with its fluffiness (as long as they are done well, of course).
In our country we could know them by the name of American pancakes, and in a country as culinary as the United States, they are a tremendously popular typical dessert. So popular that they have become an absolute tradition, so it is common to find actors eating pancakes in movies, as is the case with the popular peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
There, it is common to eat pancakes in the traditional way, accompanying them with a little butter on top (which melts slowly due to the heat of them), and with a maple syrup. That does not mean that we can also find very varied recipes, which can be made with blueberries, walnuts, pieces of fruit or chocolate chips.
American pancakes recipe (American pancakes)
We propose below the most traditional recipe to make the original American pancakes. I have made them at home and the result is more than delicious. You dare?
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Half sachet of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preparation of American pancakes:
- First put the egg in a large glass bowl and beat it well with the help of a fork.
- In another bowl mix the wheat flour with the baking powder. It is important that you mix it well so that the yeast integrates perfectly with the flour (in this way they will always have the same height throughout the entire pancake).
- Add the ground cinnamon and mix again.
- Then add the milk to the bowl where we have beaten the egg. Beat again.
- While you continue beating the milk with the egg, add the flour with the yeast little by little, mixing well until there are no lumps in the dough.
- Now add the vanilla essence and mix the egg again.
How to make American pancakes:
- Put a frying pan on the fire. If it is non-stick, it is not necessary to add a little butter. If it’s not nonstick, grease the skillet with butter.
- Over low heat, once the pan has heated up well, with the help of a ladle pour the dough into the pan.
- Flip the pan carefully when it starts to form bubbles. Cook a little longer until golden on the other side.
- Do the same with all the dough, until you are done.
How to eat American pancakes?
Now we are only faced with a pure matter of taste. If you want to be traditional and try to do it like they do in the United States, you can put a pancake or two on a plate, a square of butter on top and pour maple syrup. Everything will depend on what you like the most.
You can also substitute a little agave syrup for the maple syrup. In any case, as you may have seen, we have not added sweetener to the dough, so if you want to add a sweet flavor to the pancakes you can do so by adding some other ingredient at the time of eating them. Fruits, for example, are ideal, as well as healthy.