Sometimes makeup can cause swelling, itchiness, or pimples on the face. This is because we suffer from allergies to makeup. What are its symptoms and what to do?
There are many allergies that exist and their very diverse types, but if you have had swelling, redness, pimples or itching on your face for some time, it is most likely due to makeup, especially if you are a woman.
Allergy to makeup is very common for those who suffer from other common allergies, such as dust mites, animals and flowers. It usually happens when you are prone to these more frequent allergies and can lead to new allergies like this one.
That is why there are many people who, suffering from this allergy to makeup, think that they cannot put on makeup and for some it is a problem because most women do not leave home without at least putting on mascara. To solve this problem, there are many creams, ointments and lotions made up of elements that mainly favor people with this allergy.
What is makeup allergy and what are its causes?
Believe it or not, allergy to makeup and cosmetics is very common and common, even though it is possible that you have never suffered from any problem of this type.
In most cases they are contact allergies, and their causes can actually be quite varied: due to the composition of the make-up itself, due to applying them to quite sensitive areas, due to the number of hours you have applied them, or by using it in places other than that recommended by the product itself.
However, here are the most common causes of allergy to makeup:
- Continuous use of the product: When you use a make-up or cosmetic for a long time, and continuously, it is possible that a certain sensitivity of the skin occurs, arising at a given moment an uncomfortable and annoying allergic reaction. This is what usually happens, for example, with liquids for contact lenses.
- For using it longer than it should: If cosmetics and makeup have a certain date on the packaging, it is because, once this date has passed, some contamination of the product can occur, mainly due to the appearance of excess bacteria that later contact with the skin can cause dermatitis. To find this date recommendation on the packaging you should look for a symbol with a number followed by the letter ‘M’ on an open container. Indicate the number of months you can use it once opened.
What are the signs of allergy to makeup or cosmetics?
The most common symptom or sign is contact dermatitis, which, as we will see in the next section, tends to produce an annoying and uncomfortable irritation of the skin, as well as redness, dryness and inflammation.
In addition, small blisters, itching and even small cracks in the skin can also appear.
Main symptoms of allergy to makeup
There are several symptoms or signs that tend to arise when a person has some type of allergy to makeup. And what are those signs? The most common are the following:
- Itching: Once the product is applied, an annoying itching usually arises, accompanied by itching that, although it decreases over time, tends to appear every time you put on the product to which you are allergic.
- Burning: It appears as an uncomfortable irritation, giving the sensation that the skin is burning. If, for example, the allergy is due to some type of eye pencil, when you apply it, it is usual for your eyes to itch and tear.
- Pimples: The appearance of acne is also very common in case of allergy. Although usually we do not tend to think about makeup, but about other problems not associated with it.
How do I know if I have an allergy to makeup?
Whenever you are going to use a new make-up or cosmetic, which you have never used before, the most appropriate thing is to test the product before applying it to the area of the body where you are going to put it on.
And how can we do it? Very simple: you only have to apply a very small amount of the product to the lower part of the wrist, and wait for 48 hours to see if an allergic reaction has occurred. If nothing has appeared, it will mean that you do not have an allergy to that product.
What to do in case of allergy to makeup? What products can be used?
If you are allergic to a certain makeup or ingredient used in it, the most appropriate thing to do is to first do an allergy test to try to discover which compound is causing the reaction.
If it is possible to identify it, you can directly choose to purchase makeup and cosmetics that do not have this ingredient. But if this is not possible, the most useful thing is to try to change the make-up or cosmetic for a similar one specifically for people with sensitive skin.
We recommend creams or lotions that are made up mainly of ingredients and created especially for people with allergies to makeup, they are hypoallergenic products, without aromas, previously tested on allergic people to avoid later problems.