The cervical can contract and become inflamed by bad positions, bad posture or a bad movement. In fact, it is very common for it to occur. Find out which exercises are ideal for relieving neck pain.
Surely on more than one occasion you have noticed some pain in the neck. The neck pain is medically known name cervicalgia and is located in the region between the occipital area and superior nuchal line to the first thoracic vertebra.
We commonly call this condition pain in the neck and in addition to noticing the painful area, we also feel stiff. When we even let this pain settle in and the stiffness increases, the area becomes contracted.
Many times we do not realize it and we tend to adopt bad postures, which will end up causing these discomforts.
In addition to bad posture, other causes also influence when suffering from neck pain such as worries, stress, mood, the weight we carry in our personal bag, some daily tasks such as ironing, sewing, being in front of the computer, in general the tasks in which we have to keep our heads still.
When we adopt bad postures little by little tension is generated in the trapezius and the elevator scapulae, this will make it difficult for the blood to flow properly through these muscles, which will cause a contracture.
But it is very easy to adopt a series of postures or exercises that we can do at the end of the day that will help us relax all the tension that we have accumulated throughout the day in the neck area. They are simple exercises to perform that consist of stretching the area, unlocking the shoulder blades by raising and lowering the shoulders, exercises to remove the stiffness of the area, and finally relax the shoulders so that the area will be relaxed.
These are the most suitable exercises to relieve neck pain
1. Stretching exercises
With these stretching exercises we will notice how the sore muscles are unblocked; we just need to pay attention to these indications and steps to perform the exercise.
- Find a stool or bench without a back and sit with your knees slightly apart and your back straight.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Pass the arm on the side that hurts behind your back and tilt your head to the opposite side, we will control that the shoulder does not rise.
- Tilt the head gently, we can help ourselves with the opposite hand, for this we will put the hand on the head and push gently until you notice that the muscle is tense.
- We hold this stretching position for about 10 seconds.
These stretching exercises can be repeated 2 or 3 times a day when we need to stretch to relieve tension in the painful area and only for 10 seconds.
These exercises are intended to give us relief, relax the muscles, never pain, in case of feeling pain that is reflected in the arm, noticing nausea or dizziness, we will stop doing the exercises and consult with the specialist doctor.
2. Exercises for shoulders and shoulder blades
Both the shoulders and the muscles that are between the shoulder blades tend to contract especially when we adopt bad postures, at the end of the day we notice how the shoulders are overloaded as if we had loaded bags of cement on top.
With bad postures we tighten the area and we will end up with pain and tension in the neck, the exercises to unblock these muscles consist of stretching the area that we can do whenever we need it.
- We stand up and slightly spread our legs, about the width of our hips.
- Knees slightly bent.
- We put the two hands together, we intertwine our fingers.
- With intertwined fingers, we stretch our arms by turning our hands inward.
- We extend our arms well forward, without the shoulders rising until we notice that the scapulae move, we must also notice that the vertebrae are slightly curved.
- We will slightly incline the head downwards to stretch the muscles and the last.
We will do this exercise with duration of 10 seconds and we will repeat it 3 times.
3. Exercises to relieve neck stiffness
These exercises are for extension and flexion and will help us to improve the stiffness that occurs in the neck when tension has been lodged in these muscles.
These are exercises that we must do very gently without forcing the area since the cervical area is a very sensitive and delicate area.
We will do the extension exercises first:
- We sit on a stool with our legs slightly apart and our backs straight.
- We take a towel and pass it behind the head just where the neck begins.
- We grab the towel with both arms by the ends and tilt our head slightly back and look up at the ceiling.
- We hold this position for 5 seconds and repeat up to 3 times.
We must bear in mind that with this exercise we should not feel pain.
Now we will give way to the flexion exercises:
- Sitting on the same stool and in the same position, we will keep the lumbar straight, legs slightly apart.
- We bring our hands behind the head and cross our fingers holding the head.
- In this position we bring the elbows so that they are both parallel.
- Now we will lower our head with the help of our hands and trying to get the chin towards the chest.
- We hold this push-up position for 10 seconds and we can repeat it 3 times
4. Exercises to relax the shoulders
When we adopt bad postures, not only our neck suffers tension, but also the last and shoulders.
We do not only adopt bad postures when we are sitting badly doing our work, but also when we walk badly, as is often said with a hunched back, our head down, or when we adopt bad postures when sleeping.
With these exercises, in addition to relaxing the entire affected area, we will also stretch it and correct those bad postures.
- We will stand with our legs slightly apart to the width of our hips.
- We slightly bend our knees.
- We put our hands behind our back; we put our chest out to open the thorax.
- We lift our arms gently as far as we can without forcing as high as we can go.
- In this position we must have a straight back and head as well.
- With the lumbar straight, we contract the abdomen and we bring the pelvis forward.
- We do this exercise for 10 seconds and we can repeat it up to 3 times.
As we have said before during the development of these exercises at no time should we feel pain, or some other discomfort such as dizziness, nausea or any other ailment?
These exercises are intended to relax tension in the affected areas, as well as to relieve pain.
We must go to the specialist doctor in case we do not notice improvement or any of the aforementioned symptoms.