We discover how to make a wonderful queasily and exquisite roasted milk at home, two representative dessert recipes from the Canary Islands.
The gastronomy of the Canary Islands is rich and varied and each island has its representative desserts, although most of the desserts are cooked on all the islands. In this post we present two recipes from that extensive recipe book that makes up our confectionery, the queasily and the roasted milk.
Two delicious desserts, easy to prepare that we can have ready in a short time and surprise our guests this Christmas.
On the one hand we find the queasily, the name given to the egg flan on the island of La Palma, this dessert is therefore a popular dessert in Palmera cuisine.
Although it is popular in Palmera cuisine in all the Canary Islands, this rich and simple dessert is made. In the rest of the Canary Islands it is known as egg flan.
The queasily is made with fresh milk, eggs, condensed milk and a lot of care that of course should not be missing so that we have an exquisite queasily. On the other hand, we must also mention that it is made in a bain-marie in a pressure cooker, so it is convenient to have a mold or flan box with a lid.
We also find roasted milk, a representative and popular dessert from the Island of La Gomera. This delicious dessert is also made on all the islands, it is very easy to prepare and in a short time we will have an exquisite dessert ready to taste in the company of family and friends this Christmas.
Roasted milk is prepared especially on the island of La Gomera at Easter, although we can also taste it at any time of the year.
2 traditional dessert recipes from the Canary Islands
- A small can of condensed milk.
- The same measure of the can of condensed milk of fresh whole milk.
- 6 eggs.
- 50 grams of sugar to caramelize the mold or industrial caramel.
- In a heater we put the sugar on the fire to make the caramel with low heat and stirring.
- We give the caramel the point that we like the most, leaving it lighter or darker but taking into account that if it darkens a lot it becomes bitter.
- Once we have the liquid caramel ready, we caramelize the bottom and the walls of a mold or flan box well and reserve.
- Next we open the can of condensed milk and put it in a bowl. We add the fresh milk. Beat the eggs well and add it to the bowl along with the condensed milk and fresh milk.
- Beat well so that the three ingredients are well mixed. Pour the whipped mixture into the caramelized mold.
- Then we close the mold and put it in the cauldron or a pot to cook it in a bain-marie. Then we close the pot and put it on the fire to cook.
- At the moment that the spout of the pot begins to turn, we begin to control the time and cook it for 15 minutes.
- Once the time has elapsed, turn off the heat, remove the air from the spout and carefully uncover the pot.
- Let the queasily cool down, and once cool, uncover it from the mold. Unmold the cheese and keep it in the fridge until serving time.
Roasted milk recipe
- A liter of whole milk.
- The skin of a grated lemon.
- 6 eggs.
- Sugar to taste or (one tablespoon of sugar per egg).
- A stick of cinnamon or cinnamon powder.
- Butter to spread the mold).
- In a saucepan or heater we put the milk to boil together with the cinnamon stick, and the grated skin of the lemon.
- Heat over low heat until it begins to boil.
- When it starts to boil, turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a bowl put the eggs together with the sugar and beat well.
- Once the milk has cooled, add the beaten mixture of eggs and sugar to the milk and mix with gentle movements.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 180º C for 10 minutes.
- Grease the walls and bottom of the mold with butter. We put the mixture in the mold.
- We introduce the mold in the preheated oven and cook the dessert at a temperature of 180º C.
- We cook until the roasted milk curdles.
- We will check if it is cooked by pricking it with a toothpick or skewer that should come out clean without any remains.
- Remove the roasted milk from the oven and let it cool down before removing it from the mold.
- Carefully unmold the roasted milk and keep it in the fridge until serving time.
The roasted milk is usually accompanied with a dash of honey on top.